Needs radio for my 72 Ghia.... any brands ?

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

I'm trying to install a radio in my Ghia, and it has become a Royal PITA....
I do not want to cut the factory hole any bigger, but all the radios out there(either cheap or expensive) seem to be bigger than the hole... on my 73 beetle I had a Koss unit that fit the factory hole perfect, and the same radio won't fit the hole... anyone out there find a brand the fits? or has an original equipment radio for sale?
BTW(By The Way) the Ghia is a 1972
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

I thought about it, but i rather have a glovebox, and the radio where it should be at.... might even consider doing a conversion, put all of the new insides of a newer radio, into an older Saphire casing....
any takes?
colinws

Post by colinws »

There was a company mentioned in Volksworld a few months ago that supplies stereos to fit the holes in older cars.

Sorry, but I can't remember the company name or URL.

Perhaps someone else can find it?

The stereo that I liked most was a complete remote control one, so you just had a thin face plate that you could stick anywhere (ie over the original hole), and the actual stereo unit could be placed anywhere.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Ephry,

Had a similar problem with my '70 - everything was the slide out type or made to fit that type of hole. FINALLY found an old style (at least as far as the knobs and size are concerned) very nice radio/cassette from Radio Shack at a very good price. Fit right in in a few minutes, delivers decent quality sound, and 'looks' right in the dash. Found it at: Radioshack.com

Good luck,

Todd
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Thanks Todd..... do you remember the style number? what about the faceplate? did you just use the one from the Ghia?
thanks again
Todd

Post by Todd »

Ephry,
Got noo clue as to ref. number. There's only a few 'post' type radios available though. Used tha fae plate that came with it. plain black plastic. Doesn't look chrome-retro, but not bad either.

Just poke around on the website - you'll find it. FYI, also put in a graphic eq in the glove box mostly for additional volume when the top's down.

Todd
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Thanks for the reply. isn't it better to instal the equalizer/amp under the dash?
Just a thought
Todd

Post by Todd »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ephry73:
<B>Thanks for the reply. isn't it better to instal the equalizer/amp under the dash?
Just a thought</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prol'y so, but given the chance of theft with a top down car, I thought it best to keep it outta site. That's another reason I went with the radioshack unit. 'Realistic' isn't really considered worth stealing in the world of hot radio units.