Ball joint and tie rod end brand advice needed.

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Evil_Fiz

Ball joint and tie rod end brand advice needed.

Post by Evil_Fiz »

I have searches via Google and direct forum searches here and at the Samba but can not find the info I am looking for. Admittedly I am "Search Challenged" so here is my question.

What is the current preferred Go-To brand for ball joints and tie rod ends?

I am looking for best fit and overall quality. I have heard rumblings about Moog and Febi/Bilstein. Thoughts from the experts?

Thanks
FJCamper

Re: Ball joint and tie rod end brand advice needed.

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Evil,

What's the source of your info on these parts?

My general rule for critical parts is to avoid Chinese mfg, which leaves us mainly with Mexican and Brazilian.

German is next to impossible to find. And do be aware some familiar brand names can be legally built in China and boxed as whomever.

Sometimes a vendor will ID the item for you, such as these German ball joints.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 05-371-AGR

FJC
Evil_Fiz

Post by Evil_Fiz »

FJCamper wrote:Hi Evil,

What's the source of your info on these parts?
FJC
I may have chosen my words poorly. By "Rumblings" I meant abundant talk and favorable reviews but most of the information I found on-line is several years old. I know that things can change quickly and what was top shelf last year has been moved down a few notches BC the product is no longer from a favorable country of origin. Have you or any of the other frequent flyers had any experience with the ball joins you referenced above? I have no previous experience with CIP1 but have not heard any disparaging remarks about them. Can CIP1 be taken at their word on the country of origin?

Thanks for your comments.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Evil,

We've had no trouble with CIP1 over parts origins. Usually excellent sources are Aircooled.net and CB Performance.

Parts suppliers can and do lie to vendors over country or origin.

We road race a Ghia and a Super Bug and have to be picky over some parts, so I understand your concern. Call the sales or customer service numbers for the vendor you pick and directly ask them about a product.

FJC