Euro Bumpers

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
thejuggler1

Euro Bumpers

Post by thejuggler1 »

Hey guys...brand new forum member here. I have a 1970 Ghia coupe fully restored. I rebuilt it in high school with my father (finished in 1992...wow, can't believe it's been that long). When we rebuilt it we took off the original bumpers had our machinist fabricate some nerf bars. I put the car away for the past 10 years or due to some life events but now I'm ready to get it back on the road. I really hate the nerf bars and want to put some bumpers on it. But I don't want those larger, American standard, bumpers. I really like the single bar, chrome, euro style bumpers as they keep the lines of the car looking so nice and clean. Only issue is that for the life of me I cannot find anywhere that sells these. Any leads in this area? Thanks!
Piledriver

Re: Euro Bumpers

Post by Piledriver »

There's a place in Vietnam that makes them and advertises on TOS and ebay occasionally, polished stainless steel and look nice but have reputation for quality/fitment issues. Probably a good starting point though.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168618
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
LouieJ99

Post by LouieJ99 »

They're not chrome, but stock form, fit, and function euro bumpers. Not bad price either.
http://www.vwinnovations.com/index.php? ... Itemid=191
I'm probably gonna get a set of these. I'm going for the Hot Rod look with my coupe, so I was thinking of wrapping them in carbon fiber vinyl.
FRNKNSTNGHIA

Post by FRNKNSTNGHIA »

The stainless steel ones are excellent for what they are. The fitment issues are with one side mount of one of the front or rear, I forgot. With some ingenuity they will work beautifully. The fiberglass ones are an excellent alternative in price savings and looks department. As above stated they are a blank canvas to do what you like. I am going with custom fiberglass bumpers for my 70 Coupe but are not the vw innovation variety. A little different. Yet I did use their fiberglass classic dash, I highly recommend for the custom look, not stock restoration. Maybe in 5 years I will get the stainless steel Euro ones with bumper guards, whether they fix the current issue or not. Yet if new batches are worse then I may stray away but for now they are honestly the best alternative to finding originals and re-chroming them. Welp time to play Fifa..
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There is a spray-on "chrome" paint process that is virtually indistinguishable from real chrome
even from 3 feet.

requires ~perfect prep, but over with glass bumpers would rock pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itHzjYN_L3M
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.