Type 2 Engine in my Ghia

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
David Follett

Type 2 Engine in my Ghia

Post by David Follett »

I would like to install a '74-76 Type 2 engine in my '69 Ghia and not convert to upright cooling. Any information, advice both pro & con would be appreciated.
Dave in Media,PA/Vero Beach, FL
VWDAVE
crocteau

Re: Type 2 Engine in my Ghia

Post by crocteau »

David Follett wrote:I would like to install a '74-76 Type 2 engine in my '69 Ghia and not convert to upright cooling. Any information, advice both pro & con would be appreciated.
A quick search turned up a few "pros" here: http://www.moonrosedesigns.com/tunacannet/t4/why.htm
and a common "con" from http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 1&t=140304:
helowrench wrote:An unmodified type 4 will "fit" into a ghia bay with some cutting. I know this personally, having put it into a 68. It will sit far enough back to require you to lose the decklid latch. You will also have to got the cold side/ hot side tin worked out. In my young and stupid time, I ignored that step, an dtoasted the motor. It was definitely fun during the short time that it ran.
Advice? You could do a search for posts by NextGen; then you might reconsider an upright conversion unless your mind is already made up.

Charley
David Follett

Post by David Follett »

Thank you for quick response and very informative leads. Guess the upright is the way to go as long as I can handle the sheet metal mods. Will first invest in Joe Cali's manual again. I did purchase one years ago at the World Wide VW show, Orangeburg, NY show but sold it. Infact I worked at WWVC then. Thanks again.
VWDAVE
crocteau

Post by crocteau »

cool 8) , '69 is a desirable year for Ghias. If you haven't already been welcomed to STF then this is it. The Type 4rum has several threads related to type 4 conversions you might find interesting. Consider sticking around to let folks follow your progress. I think photos are appreciated by more than a few here. :wink:

Charley
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Reality check.
How willing are you to cut up the engine compartment of the Ghia.

I did exactly what you are talking about in 1989.
It can be done in a Ghia, just not a bug.

Anywho, long story, but the Cliff Notes format is that I overheated a freshly rebuilt engine because I didn't pay close attention to the hot side / cold side , and sucked cooling air straight past the muffler.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

I guess I should add that, yes, I would do it again, just that I would start with a car with badly rusted out engine compartment metal.