steering wheel

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
weldvair

steering wheel

Post by weldvair »

I am installing a Chevy trk tilt steering column in my Ghia. I now need to buy a steering wheel.

What should I buy.....14" or 15".

Thanks Don :)
retired mech engr living in central florida
weldvair

Re: steering wheel

Post by weldvair »

I have not received a reply so let me rephrase the question.

For those that have a 14" steering wheel - do you like it better than the original 15"?

Don
Marc

Post by Marc »

Larger wheel gives better leverage/easier steering (probably not an issue for you since you won't be running super-wide tires or added caster) but does reduce your knee clearance, which could make ingress/egress more difficult. The smaller wheel will also open up your seat options a little, I'm thinking all things considered you'd like it better.

I have a large wheel on my Bug, and with seats from a Lexus it was a little hard to get in & out - back when I had bad shoulders, knees & hips; my son fitted a quick-release hub so I could pop it off when needed. After getting both shoulders, both knees and a hip replaced I haven't needed to use that feature anymore :)
Your GM column has a tilt feature, doesn't it? That should be nearly as effective, so you should probably just base the decision on upper-body strength vs knee clearance when the seat's at the desired position.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/ ... d4fd62.jpg
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

Thanks Mark I'll order a 14" steering wheel.

Don

ORDERED
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

My steering wheel :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.