Outdoor cover

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
GK73

Outdoor cover

Post by GK73 »

Hi all, new to the forum and looking for an all weather car cover for my 73 Ghia. Any suggestions?
FJCamper

Re: Outdoor cover

Post by FJCamper »

Hi GK73,

If you're not familiar wih car covers in general, the first thing to know is sometimes people steal them if they are not padlocked on (even the cheap ones have padlock grommets), and if not tied on right, they easily blow off and away in the wind.

The heavier, thicker (and more expensive) covers do not "breathe" well and trap water underneath. The lighter ones are not waterproof, but do shed water. They also dry out faster.

http://www.mamotorworks.com offers a good mid-priced three-layer $100 (+-) Ghia cover, item number 399107. Cheaper covers work, even generics, but if you're thinking of long term storage, you're better off with the more expensive covers.

Good luck,

FJC
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Good 'put FJ! The covers also can flap/billow in the wind which can do damage/abrasion to the paint plus the hold down ties (metal) can do body damage. If you put blue plastic under the cover for water proofing then you have trapped moisture problems again as the area needs to breathe. I have looked at a couple of cars stored like that and when the cover came off the owner's eyes got big as they hadn't looked at it for a while.

I have a motorhome that recently I started covering during the winter mounts; while the birds are not around to spot it as much moss does collect especially in the gutters (I live in a damp climate). Uncovered wasn't much different than covered other than accumulated dirt during the uncovered periods. The motorhome covers come in three sizes: expensive, really expensive and :shock: . I think you will find that true in car covers too.

I don't know what the answer is other than store inside and put a light weight cover over it to keep dust from settling onto the paint. And jack the car off the ground to protect tires and get some air circulation underneath the car.

I wish I could be of more help.

Lee
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

foggy,
The answer is simple.
drive it
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Yes, I agree but that isn't what his question was. When I asked the question many years ago I was given more or less the same answer: there are pros and cons to use one or not use one... inside that is. Outside the answer was: you probably won't be happy either way.

Lee
GK73

Post by GK73 »

Thanks FJC, Will look into mamotor.

-Gk
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

foggy, I was just joking.
The storage indoors is best using no cover, as dust comes off pretty easily for up to a year or two.
Outside storage is dicey. It seems to depend upon the climate. I have seen car covers become mice motels as the wintertime under the cover stays warmer.

Beew/wasps in the spring

I did short term on a 924 using the blue breatheable mid level ~$125 cover avail from auto atlanta.

It did fairly well, I removed the cover every couple of weeks, and let her run for a bit.
didget69

Post by didget69 »

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Those 6 layer ones look nice for what they are.
Car covers still have their limitations.

Costco et al sell "canvas garages" that have a metal framework... I had one that held up for a couple years, around here the sun is what kills plastic outdoors, if I went there again I would add some std tarps as sacrificial sun blockers.

This will keep the bird poo, hail, rain etc off you car well, and have fewer downsides than car covers, at about the same cost as a decent car cover. Can make for a decent quick spray booth or workshop/storage in a pinch as well.

These are typically 10X20 but can be had in Biggee RV size too.

Con: requires the room to put it up and secure it.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
didget69

Post by didget69 »

I've seen a few of those portable garages' blow across the lawn... :lol:

bnc
NKOTB

Post by NKOTB »

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That's slick.

The snow globe thing is so cute...

They even have some similar inflatable setups that are for emergency habitation, operation rooms etc...

Some are fully "drive in" inflatable temporary structures.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.