Found on craigslist.. 57

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Hegel

Found on craigslist.. 57

Post by Hegel »

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4229707979.html

what an odd duckling. figured it was worth a share.
Marc

Re: Found on craigslist.. 57

Post by Marc »

That is a mutt, isn't it? Looks more like a mid`60s car that someone grafted the first foot of early front fenders and some rear fenders onto. I'd be verrrry leary of the VIN/title situation on that one. Too bad about the dash, but it's never going to be a show-car anyway. Judging by the background in the photos this guy's a rooter - wonder if I know him?
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I would like to see the bumpers, but I do know that they made Ghias in Brazil with I assume Karmann's blessing. It wouldn't be in '57 and I doubt '64 but there were many made.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
lcvaldetaro

Post by lcvaldetaro »

Fact: There are no 57's Ghias made in Brazil. The Ghia (was we know it) was produced in Brazil between 62 and 71. They had another Karmann Ghia Produced from 72 to 76 called the "Karmann Ghia TC" (different looking).

A little info: http://www.karmannghiaconnection.com/brazilian.html
Marc

Post by Marc »

The low-headlight `Ghias also had smaller air inlets in the nose (see below), and you can sorta make out the bodywork where it looks like early fender fronts were spliced on, so it's no `57. Wish I could see the pedal cluster and shifter better to help date the chassis...but I'm not curious enough to drive up there and look. Engine appears to be an all-original `68 or early `69 (30PICT-2 w/throttle positioner, spade-lug generator terminals)...that means the case is probably an H5 doorstop. Even if the title was correct and clear I can't see anything worth near the asking price.

Boy, that Brazilian TC is one ugly son of a b*tch. It vaguely resembles a Ford Maverick, but that's an insult to the Maverick Image