Power window options

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
ivwshane

Power window options

Post by ivwshane »

I've been searching and researching how to add power windows to my 71 ghia.

The simplest is to use a kit that converts roll up windows to powered. The main problem I've seen with these is that the gear that attached to the crank shaft will frequently or eventually strip.

The other way would be to replace the crank shaft with a compatible motor like what was done on this video:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vhS8RVj0BB ... hS8RVj0BBo

The issue with this is that it would require cutting up the door (which I would be ok with but hesitant) but it would also involved modding the power window motor (which is fine if it will last a very long time but I don't have faith).

The last option I have not seen done and I don't know if it's possible or not. It would basically replace the current regulator with a more modern regulator that includes the power motor. The unit would need to be modified to accept the glass and be adjustable to get the right angle. Something like this:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/180953052773?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

The issue of course is finding one that is close enough to be compatible. Does anyone know if this has been done? Is it possible in theory?

Are there any other options I haven't thought of?

....there is another option but it isn't what I'm looking for for my custom restore and that is the window crank motor where the motor is the crank and switch. I don't want a window crank period.
Steve Arndt

Re: Power window options

Post by Steve Arndt »

Turbobaja put all new window lifts and motors in his doors. Check his build thread in the off road forum.
ivwshane

Post by ivwshane »

Steve Arndt wrote:Turbobaja put all new window lifts and motors in his doors. Check his build thread in the off road forum.
I'm 60 pages in but I've only seen one page (18) where he talks about the windows. Not really enough to go on for a noob like me (I might have as much skill as he has in a fingernail).

Does he go into more detail after page 60?

Sweet build though and I love the wire loom door pass through he made, very clean!
Last edited by ivwshane on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I paged Turbobaja. He is the power window ninja.
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

It looks like most of the info on my window job might be there on pg18, not a whole lot of help for someone looking to go full custom power windows, but you can see that I had to completely re-fab the inner door skins to mount the regulators. There might be some more pics later on after paint, etc. Mine was a lot more involved than you Ghia might be though, since I also relocated the regulators further forward for the one-piece door glass. The Ghia regulators should be in a pretty good position to just swap (still easier said than done no doubt) some power regulators in place of the factory unite. I might have gotten my regulators from Mid America Motorworks, or possibly JC Whitney. I'm with you though, not a big fan of just adding a motor to the manual regulators and hoping for the best. The Ghia doors being frameless might make things a little tricky, I had a '71 for about a year when I was 17, but don't remember much about the workings of the inner door skin/regulator etc. All I can say is, where there's a will, there's a way :wink: . Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need some ideas.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
ivwshane

Post by ivwshane »

turbobaja wrote:It looks like most of the info on my window job might be there on pg18, not a whole lot of help for someone looking to go full custom power windows, but you can see that I had to completely re-fab the inner door skins to mount the regulators. There might be some more pics later on after paint, etc. Mine was a lot more involved than you Ghia might be though, since I also relocated the regulators further forward for the one-piece door glass. The Ghia regulators should be in a pretty good position to just swap (still easier said than done no doubt) some power regulators in place of the factory unite. I might have gotten my regulators from Mid America Motorworks, or possibly JC Whitney. I'm with you though, not a big fan of just adding a motor to the manual regulators and hoping for the best. The Ghia doors being frameless might make things a little tricky, I had a '71 for about a year when I was 17, but don't remember much about the workings of the inner door skin/regulator etc. All I can say is, where there's a will, there's a way :wink: . Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need some ideas.
Thanks! Sweet build btw!

My main concern is if I use a whole new window regulator system (ie like the one you used, or something different like the scissor type ones), is there geometry or other factors I have to consider (besides figuring out how to mount the regulators)? Or will any regulator that fits in the door, work?
ALYKAT III

Post by ALYKAT III »

Try ballsrodandkustom.com they make a number of kits for hot rods and customs. One of them might work for you.
ivwshane

Post by ivwshane »

ALYKAT III wrote:Try ballsrodandkustom.com they make a number of kits for hot rods and customs. One of them might work for you.

Thanks! I'll check them out.