Wanted: photo of 1971 Ghia door lock mechanism

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Greg Rickard

Wanted: photo of 1971 Ghia door lock mechanism

Post by Greg Rickard »

Please post photos of the lock mechanism for a '71 Ghia if you've got any; I did a web search and couldn't find any photos that show lock mechanism details.

The driver's side lock on my '71 Ghia is not unlocking the same way as it used or as the passenger side does. Normally, pulling or pressing the short upper lever allows you to lock and unlock the door latch, and you open the door by pulling on the long lower lever.

On my car, pulling the short upper lever unlocks and opens the door in one motion...the longer lower lever is not used. It is a bit more efficient in a weird sort of way, but that is not how it is supposed to work.

Apparently, the door lock mechanisms are no longer made, used ones goes for $100+ (with no guarantee of service life) :shock:, and I want to see if I can fix mine so it works properly. I can still open and close the door, but it just ain't right!

Thanks in advance for any pictures or help that you can offer!
helowrench

Re: Wanted: photo of 1971 Ghia door lock mechanism

Post by helowrench »

Have you changed anything since it was working properly?
Greg Rickard

Post by Greg Rickard »

A while back, I came home after a drive, pulled the lower lever to open the door and heard what sounded like a spring letting loose inside the door. I had to reach outside to use the exterior door handle to open the door.

I removed the door panel along with plastic moisture barrier and found that the rod clip, just by the latch mechanism, had popped off of the rod and the rod had separated from the latch mechanism arm, so I reattached the rod to the latch arm, reinstalled the rod clip, and buttoned up the door.

Normally, the upper short lever makes a click when pulled into either the locked or unlocked position. Mine only clicks when moved into the locked position, and moving it past the unlocked position opens the door...overrides the lower lever. If I move (and hold) the upper short lever into what would normally be the unlocked position, the lower lever opens the door like it should. It feels like a spring that holds the short upper lever into the unlocked position is missing.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

I may have my door panel off this weekend. If I do I will email some pictures.
Greg Rickard

Post by Greg Rickard »

helowrench, that would be much appreciated! :D
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

here is a picture from a '70 door I've got laying around

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss30 ... caf57a.jpg

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss30 ... 1f780b.jpg

This site just pisses me off on all the hoops you have to jump through to get a freaking photo on here -- and I still couldn't get it to show
Greg Rickard

Post by Greg Rickard »

Fiatdude...thanks! The pictures are a huge help. I'll dive back into my Ghia's door and compare the latch bits (rods, springs, etc.) to your photos.
Greg Rickard

Post by Greg Rickard »

helowrench wrote:Have you changed anything since it was working properly?
Yes, a while back I replaced a door lock spring when I removed the driver's door lock to examine and clean it up.

Problem solved.

It turns out that the new spring that I had installed in the driver's door did not have enough tension to allow the lock mechanism to properly operate. I discovered this by comparing the new spring with the OEM spring on the passenger door and operation of both door locks and latches. I replaced the driver's door spring with another spring that has the same tension has the passenger side (OEM) spring and now the driver's door lock works as it should!

Lesson learned: spring tension can be really, really important in addition to correctly matching up dimensions (length and diameter)!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.