New Directions

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Chris P

New Directions

Post by Chris P »

I have a 67 that I built to be pretty low by adding a 4" narrowed beam with adjusters, CB drop spindles for the front and 1 3/4" drop plates for the rear. I am running OG 4-lug Sprint Stars 15x4.5 all around; with 155/60/15 up front and 165R15 in the rear.

I am looking to get back out of the weeds, away from the tucked in look, and quit hitting and scrapping everything. I would like to get to the optimum drop of only 2" and push the wheels back out where they should be for better performance. Would putting my CB drop spindles on a stock width, non-adjustable beam, with the tire combo I have work with out any issues? If not, what issues am I looking at? I am pretty sure I will have to replace the butchered swing axle housings and use another method for slightly lowering the rear.
Chris P.
volksbugly

Re: New Directions

Post by volksbugly »

If it was me I would keep the adjustability and put stock spindles on. Then put some 15mm or so spacers on and see What that gives you. I'm currently looking at my setup. I have a 70 bug that I put wider fenders on. I have some really deep dished wheels 51mm ET so I need to push my wheels out, and I haven't even narrowed my front end!
I've actually been toying with possibly welding some front trailing arms together To push my ball joints out further, but I am going to stick some spacers on first.

As long as your rotors are flat and your spacers and wheels are flat and you equally torque your lugs the spacers wont give you a problem, if they are made out of quality metal.
Is that a ball joint or link? If its link your in luck they make wider trailing arms. :) Does your current setup have any more adjustment in it? You might be able to move it up about an inch, if you do that it will get rid of your rake stance, which might help out with bumps and maybe not have to do anything with the back if you can live without the rake.

Good luck!
:)
Chris P

Post by Chris P »

Thanks Volksbugly, for the reply. The beam is a ball joint and it is about halfway in the adjustment range. Unfortunately having 4.5" OG Sprint on the 4" narrowed beam, still tuck the wheels too much.
Chris P.
Chris P

Post by Chris P »

Did some looking over the beam and was going to adjust it up and found out that the set screws on the Avis-style adjusters had worked their way loose and the beam actually was at its lowest. I adjusted up to the point that the car is level (measured with an angle gauge using the door sill)

Chris P.