ShopTalkForums Ghia on the Salt

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Roadcow

Re: ShopTalkForums Ghia on the Salt

Post by Roadcow »

silkvw wrote:Bumpers are not required for the 130mph or 150 mph club. Take a look here for more info: http://www.saltflats.com/I30_Club_2009.html . I didn't have bumpers on my Ghia last year, and passed inspection. The car must be safe, but not required to be street legal.
I thought so also but on the 150 Club tech sheet there is a place where the Tech verify's that the car is currently registered and insured OR has a waiver. That made me go drop some money ar DMV! :evil:
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

156 MPH TIME SLIP

Britt, there's a 200 MPH hat out there waiting for you.

FJC
noslzzp

Post by noslzzp »

Any stats on what the motor was turning at 156MPH? And, maybe how long it took to get to that speed? This is very impressive and inspiring!
Introducing the Basilari 306R - '58 low light Ghia, 300HP+ boxer 6
http://basilari.com/
Marc

Post by Marc »

Roadcow wrote:...We did start to try to chop off another shift coupler but found another way to fix the problem by re drilling the urethane blocks on the sides of the coupler in 2 planes. 1 a 1/2" back and 2 at a bit of an angle. This fixed the shifting problem...
Evidently, it did not.
Last edited by Marc on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yodogg

Post by yodogg »

noslzzp wrote:Any stats on what the motor was turning at 156MPH? And, maybe how long it took to get to that speed? This is very impressive and inspiring!
The timing gates are between the 2-mile marker and the 2.25-mile marker for the 150-mph club with a run-off to the 3-mile marker before turning back.

As for the shifter, in Britt's defense, I was the only one of us that struggled with it.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I've heard people claim that you don't need a Bus hockeystick to run a swingaxle Bus nosecone, too...but you DO! There's only one right way to convert an AutoStick pan to 4-speed (put in the correct shiftrod) and one almost-right way (build a modified coupler). Angle-drilling the coupler as described doesn't even make it to the bottom of the list IMO; definitely this needs to be corrected before the next trip to the flats, it's not the sort of thing you want to be dealing with when miles from home with limited resources.
Roadcow

Post by Roadcow »

Marc wrote:
Roadcow wrote:...We did start to try to chop off another shift coupler but found another way to fix the problem by re drilling the urethane blocks on the sides of the coupler in 2 planes. 1 a 1/2" back and 2 at a bit of an angle. This fixed the shifting problem...
Evidently, it did not.
Ask Tom Simon if it shifted well enough to get all 4 gears and set a record.
Last edited by Roadcow on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadcow

Post by Roadcow »

Marc wrote:I've heard people claim that you don't need a Bus hockeystick to run a swingaxle Bus nosecone, too...but you DO! There's only one right way to convert an AutoStick pan to 4-speed (put in the correct shiftrod) and one almost-right way (build a modified coupler). Angle-drilling the coupler as described doesn't even make it to the bottom of the list IMO; definitely this needs to be corrected before the next trip to the flats, it's not the sort of thing you want to be dealing with when miles from home with limited resources.

I d agree with you that the shift rod has to be changed and it's already been done. but when you are already at the race track with limited resources and limited time you do what it takes TO SET A RECORD. How was your weekend Marc?
Last edited by Roadcow on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roadcow

Post by Roadcow »

noslzzp wrote:Any stats on what the motor was turning at 156MPH? And, maybe how long it took to get to that speed? This is very impressive and inspiring!
The engine was turning 6700 rpm at 156 mph this year. 3.44 R&P with 24.5" tires. Way to low we needed to install the 3.88 R&P trans from last year but I'd loaned it to another racer who had a trans grenade on him.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Roadcow wrote:...Hey Marc! 1 Question ... How many times have you been to Bonneville and please share with us the records that you have established???...
Not the point. I've always done my racing in circles rather than in straight lines but I'm not here to compare peckers, just wanted to share some information about how to convert an AutoStick to 4-speed for the benefit of anyone who wants to know how to do it correctly.
I once built an engine that set a track record using two mismatched case halves from the scrap barrel (one with a big JBWeld & Bondo patch on the roof where a rod had once ejected) so I'd be the last guy on earth to say you can't do sh*t wrong and still be fast ;)
Roadcow

Post by Roadcow »

Fair enough and that's why I changed the reply.
Roadcow

Post by Roadcow »

Hey Johan!
Did any GoPro footage emerge from your or Tom's runs?
yodogg

Post by yodogg »

Hi Britt,

Yes, it needs to be flipped when you play it (which surprisingly was easier to do on the windows player than on apple quicktime).I may just post the videos on my photobucket page and post (and email) the link. I'll email you and the rest of the team the pics that turned out best as well.

BTW- I finally got Tom's email address.
fastbacktom

Post by fastbacktom »

FJCamper wrote:Image

156 MPH TIME SLIP

Britt, there's a 200 MPH hat out there waiting for you.

FJC
That's a cool picture!

There are a couple of 'soft' records to be had that suit the Ghia, now that SCTA has split the small displacement production body cars up. The newly formed 'classic' sub-category (for 1948 thru 1981 production body cars) has some opportunities, now that the VW's don't have to race for records attained by some of the dual overhead cam VVT/EFI production entries. ----Tom Simon
Roadcow

Post by Roadcow »

yodogg wrote:Hi Britt,

Yes, it needs to be flipped when you play it (which surprisingly was easier to do on the windows player than on apple quicktime).I may just post the videos on my photobucket page and post (and email) the link. I'll email you and the rest of the team the pics that turned out best as well.

BTW- I finally got Tom's email address.
If you have some extra time could you please send or post your and Tom's Videos please. We'd like to compare notes with the engine builder. Thanks.