Ghia Front End Alignment

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
thrillamilla24

Ghia Front End Alignment

Post by thrillamilla24 »

So after replacing some front end suspension parts this past weekend, I am now in need of an alignment. I took it to my buddies local shop for him to align. He was unable to as he said there was a special tool he needed in order to do it. I unfortunately was not at the shop when had the car apart, so I didn't see what he was talking about. Can anyone help me out as far as obtaining this special tool or exactly what it is?
Don't Blink!
Marc

Re: Ghia Front End Alignment

Post by Marc »

A spanner to rotate the camber eccentrics, perhaps? 10" or bigger Channellock pliers do the job just fine.
mac2881994

Post by mac2881994 »

Harbor freight has a set of very thin wrenches for cheap that will work just fine and they will not hit the trailing arm when turning the eccentric bushing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools ... 93667.html
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
thrillamilla24

Post by thrillamilla24 »

Thank you guys. I will get back to you on what I find.
Don't Blink!
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Competency.
That is the basic tool that is, all to often, missing.
Helo
Greg Rickard

Post by Greg Rickard »

I did the alignment of my Ghia in 2011 (at home) after replacing the tie rods, and I do not recall any special tools being required to align the front wheels or back wheels (yes, they can be realigned and are a PITA).

For my Ghia, I used the box string method with aluminum angles on jack stands and flourescent mono-filament line, four alignment turn tables, a digital level, a digital caliper, and braced the steering wheel (to keep it centered) using 2x2s.
carmangary

Post by carmangary »

I took mine into an alignment shop after I restored mine. I think I paid only $80 and they did an awesome job. That included the front and the rear. It was sort of a dad and son shop and I think they were really excited to work on my car because it had never really been driven since the restoration and there was not a bit of dirt of grease on it. They did the whole computer alignment thing. I would never attempt to do my own alignment. I know you can do it with strings and stuff and get it as good as you need but why bother?
Greg Rickard

Post by Greg Rickard »

carmangary wrote:I know you can do it with strings and stuff and get it as good as you need but why bother?
Just because you can :mrgreen:!

I got into doing alignments on my fun cars out of neccessity. I take my Lotus Exige to the track often, want it in top shape for each track day, and am always tweaking the handling specs in search of the perfect set up for road courses. It would not be time or cost efficient for me to hit the alignment shop several times a year. I can do an alignment in the same amount of time spent driving to/from the alignment shop and hanging out while the work is done. The bonuses are that I know that the alignment is correctly done and it costs me exactly $0.

The alignment set up for my Lotus also works on my Ghia, so I align the Ghia, too.

For most car owners it makes sense to go the alignment shop.
vwo60

Post by vwo60 »

I bought one of these and use it a lot, works great, just do it yourself.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIY-WHEEL-TI ... 4ac30b0b5a