Wanted - gas mileage estimate for Ghia with 1,600cc dp

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Greg Rickard

Re: Wanted - gas mileage estimate for Ghia with 1,600cc dp

Post by Greg Rickard »

The intake manifold (Redline Weber Progressive kit) on my Ghia has a heat runner through the base of the manifold, and the Empi monza exhaust has heat riser outlets at Cylinders 2 and 4. The heat risers are hooked to the manifold so that it is getting heat. Also, I am located in Southern California on the coast, which stays warmer during winter months than most of the rest of the US (our typical winter day is in the low 60s).

Picture of my Ghia's set-up is attached below as a jpg file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg Rickard

Post by Greg Rickard »

Interim update: I opened up the Weber Progressive carb, swapped out all three sets of jets per Aircooled.net's recommendations (ordered the jets from them), and reset the float level. The float level was set way too high, and me thinks (as was suggested by doc) the float level has been the cause of poor gas mileage. I still have to start the engine, reset the air mixture and idle screws, and test drive it and dial it in. I'll report back with gas mileage reading once I burn through a tank or two.

Once I get a new base line on the carb performance and mileage, I will switch the dizzy to a SVDA from the existing 009 for an ignition advance curve better suited for around town driving. That should improve low to mid range performance and improve gas mileage a tad.

On a related note, I will change the exhaust back to OEM from the Empi Monza exhaust. Why? As also pointed out by others, manifold heating is particularly helpful to the Progressive. The OEM exhaust has the proper high pressure / low pressure plumbing for the maniold heater tubes, whereas the Empi Monza exhaust on the car (and most other aftermarket exhausts) have inadequate plumbing that results in exhaust pulses between cylinders 4 and 2 that are not very effective in heating the manifold. Although, I really like the Vintage Speed stainless steel exhaust that Aircooled.net sells, which has the correct heat riser plumbing, and may go straight to that.

Thanks for the input. I look forward to better fuel economy and maybe even better overall engine performance.
Greg Rickard

Post by Greg Rickard »

24 mpg!

That is after resetting the carb float level, rejetting per Aircooled.net's recommendations, installing Aircooled.net's SVDA dizzy with Pertronix module, and running the stock exhaust because of the correct heat riser design (eventually will install the Vintage Speed exhaust).

The biggest performance gain came from dumping the 009 for the SVDA....what a big difference in driveability!

Thank you all for the suggestions and guidance - the fuel mileage matter is finally solved.

Next - chasing down a pesky oil leak...
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Greg Rickard wrote: Yes, gas mileage on modern cars is pretty good. My '02 Audi barge with a 2.7 twin-turbo and awd returns 25mpg at 70, and my '06 Lotus Exige 32mpg. Your Sonata is really sippin gas - a good thing.
I just started working with a guy with a hopped-up 2.7L bi-turbo S4 (320/320 to the ground)- he says he's lucky to get 15mpg! :lol: My 2-liter type I with dual 48's and an 009 got 13-15MPG in my Baywindow Bus driving it like I stole it...7300RPM shifts.

My old `05 2.2L Ecotec Cobalt usually ran 36-38MPG, and I thought my old 912E was good on gas...
Greg Rickard

Post by Greg Rickard »

Chris V, my 2.7 audi has a GAIC chip and other goodies and also delivers about 320 hp when the turbos are boosted. However, I usually drive it on on the OEM setting (chip deactivated) at about 250 hp for gas savings, and it delivers about 17 mpg around town and 25 mpg on the highway with cruise-control activated. MPG drops a bit when the chip is activated and turbos are boosted.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Impressive engines...He said he hangs out with some guys at a local exclusive shop named 'AMD' I think...He said he was lucky to find out the turbos had already been upgraded from the stock ones after he purchased the car, and went on to mention removing the cats and bypassing their o2 sensors and whatnot. He said there was a V8 direct-injection convertible S4 in the other day getting its 15,000 miles carbon cleaner...it only made like 265ft/lbs of torque, but he said it was spooky quiet even at 8K RPM.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Nice MPG improvement!
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Greg Rickard wrote:24 mpg!

That is after resetting the carb float level, rejetting per Aircooled.net's recommendations, installing Aircooled.net's SVDA dizzy with Pertronix module, and running the stock exhaust because of the correct heat riser design (eventually will install the Vintage Speed exhaust).

The biggest performance gain came from dumping the 009 for the SVDA....what a big difference in driveability!

Thank you all for the suggestions and guidance - the fuel mileage matter is finally solved.

Next - chasing down a pesky oil leak...

:wink:
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387