What size tyre with 2" lowered front suspension

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
carl4x4

What size tyre with 2" lowered front suspension

Post by carl4x4 »

I'm still undecided whether to go for the Red9design twin wishbone suspension here in the UK (I now have an IRS conversion with adjustable arms in the rear). I really like the idea of the RED9 front end with the steering rack but the main thing stopping me from ordering one is the fact that the ride height starts at 2" lower than standard and goes down from there. I want to be able to fit decent wheels & tyres on the front not the normal skinny 145 jobs that most people end up fitting when they lower the car.
So the question is, with a 2" drop will the tyres start rubbing on the arches or does that start happening when you go substantially lower ?

Thanks for any feedback.
FJCamper

Re: What size tyre with 2" lowered front suspension

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Carl,

You'll find when you lower the body relative to the front axle that the tire/tyre, if a standard 70 or 80 series 165x15 now extends up into the wheel well -- and when you turn the front wheels hard to one side or the other that the rubber may rub the top of the wheel arch.

And if you are turning and hit a bump at the same time, the rubber will hit the arch hard, taking material off the tire/tyre and sometimes bending the body sheet metal.

The fix is to run 60 series rubber.

FJC