Wanting to buy a '61 KG

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
ECF

Wanting to buy a '61 KG

Post by ECF »

Hi everybody, I'll admit I'm totally new to KG's but I know that VW is a good car to anyone who takes good care of theirs. I recently spotted a 61vw Karmann Ghia that has some cosmetic work needed (bumpers and light fittings need to be chromed) and the paintwork could be redone properly. Can anyone tell me what I must be on the lookout for and what to expect? The test drive was comfy but the lack of sound insulation inside the car and sloppy painted dash had me worried. btw... I'm in South Africa.
ALYKAT III

Re: Wanting to buy a '61 KG

Post by ALYKAT III »

Be very careful of rust out. Karmanns tend to be very susceptible to rust through. Particularly around the headlights, on the pan, edges of the fenders, doors,.... jeez, I guess about everywhere. Don't panic, it doesn't happen to every one of them, but enough to be cautious. Use a magnet and go over the body very carefully(lots of evil has been covered by bondo) , and use a good strong light source to inspect the interior panels where ever you can. Pay particular attention to the most forward part of the nose. Very few escape without some damage in that area.
ECF

Re: Wanting to buy a '61 KG

Post by ECF »

Thank you ALYKAT III:) Good idea with the magnet:) Saves me wrapping my knuckles all over the car^_^ I'd love to have it and make it my treasured pet if all works out well:)