Grassroots Motorsports $201X Challenge Build

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
FJCamper

Re: Grassroots Motorsports $201X Challenge Build

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Bruce,

I'll bet you had a great time at the Challenge! I've never attended one, but one of our RetroRacing team members have, with a Super Beetle.

I don't personally know of any successful water-cooled Ghia engine swaps like you've described, and I am feeling that you're thinking you have really gotten into more work in this Ghia race prep than you want.

An engine conversion would be even more work.

You've come so far with the Ghia -- finish it!

FJC
VWguyBruce

Post by VWguyBruce »

Nothing to report other than this new addition to my library. Will be nice to have all the Kadron data in one place once I get the project underway again. Helping put millions of dollars into FJCamper's pocket. :mrgreen: I may try to make a push and get to The Mitty at Road Atlanta in April. We'll see how the job hunt goes post-retirement.

http://amzn.com/0988365103/

Merry Christmas!
2004 Envoy XL Tow Rig
1997 BMW 540i/6
1986 Jetta GLi - Sold
1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Felix
CLH

Post by CLH »

Enjoying your saga, keep up the good work!
VWguyBruce

Post by VWguyBruce »

Great book so far. Very easy to understand. I'm learning a lot of terminology and rationale for what I already knew. If nothing else you've reinforced my choice of going with Kadrons. :D

FJC you mentioned in the book about venting through the top of the carb and plugging the factory overflow vent instead adding the tube into the intake for increased flow? You didn't include a picture and Google doesn't find one. Just curious what kind of CFM difference it makes. I would imagine it might be more popluar as a drag modification?

Happy New Year!
2004 Envoy XL Tow Rig
1997 BMW 540i/6
1986 Jetta GLi - Sold
1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Felix
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Above: June Bug screens in test

Hi Bruce,

Only AJ Sims has posted airflow numbers by eliminating the stock air cleaner mount, and says he measured up to 7 CMF @ 25 inches of vacuum, which can mean 1 to 7 extra horsepower. Kaddie Shack offers a very nice dished air cleaner base plate that should increase airflow as well, while leaving the carb mount intact.

I cannot verify AJ's numbers (no flow bench), but I believe either one of these mods would be an improvement over stock.

And an air cleaner tip from Jeff Lain at Kaddie Shack. He has noticed a slight HP increase with the air cleaner tops in place (no air filter), attributing the power gain (educated guess) to the top providing some control or resistance to intake reversion. To that end, I'm experimenting with racing air cleaners without filters, just screen wire, sort of an anti-June Bug device.

In the manual, I advise against running without air filters, and mean it. The exception is hardcore racing, where getting those few extra HP are worth the risk of wear and damage.

FJC