Roll call! Introduce yourself....

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
Milosak

VW 411 Sedan Automatic

Post by Milosak »

Here is another one in my hands... now I have 3 x 411 + 1 x 412
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

+
presented few years ago
Milosak

Re: Roll call! Introduce yourself....

Post by Milosak »

Last week I save another 412 which was flooded in 2002. Owner want to scrap it, but some VW aircooled fun saw it, called me and ask if I'm interested. Next day, 412 was in my yard.

Here are some pics... body is in perfect condition

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Milosak

Post by Milosak »

Few pictures from flooded engine (in 2002)

412AirCooled

Post by 412AirCooled »

Hello all, new 1973 412 Variant owner. It's drivable but needs work for daily duties. Fortunately previous owner left me some parts. Not sure why he didn't install them. I'm in Leesburg, VA and haven't seen another 412 around. Love having something different.

Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lars S

Post by Lars S »

Welcome Brian!
Nice looking car you have, panels look straight, like the colour also!

/Lars S
reluctantartist

Post by reluctantartist »

Hey all. I am officially in the game now. This is the 412 I have. I hope it proves as good as my 82 vanagon westy.
412 winter 2012.jpg
412 interior.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoolGuyGreg

Post by CoolGuyGreg »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Greg. I'm from the Seattle, WA area. I recently picked up a 1972 411. My very first car was a type 3 squareback and I recently was trying to get another. After losing out on the one I wanted, I expanded my search on Samba and found this 411. It was nearly completely restored inside & out and I snagged it up the next day. Prior to this I've never even heard of the 411/412 models, but I have been absolutely giddy about my 411 since getting it about a month ago. We have a couple shows coming up in the area and I plan on showing it.

Thanks,
Greg
MY_411_interior.jpg
MY_411_exterior.jpg
raykinsella

Post by raykinsella »

Hi Greg - welcome to the 411/412 world! And you're in Seattle? Me too - actually across the Sound Bainbridge Island area. I have three type-4s. I've never seen another on the road in this area. Where did you find yours?

Cheers, Kirk Knighton
CoolGuyGreg

Post by CoolGuyGreg »

Hey Kirk, great finding someone else in the area. More accurately, I'm in Kent. Perhaps we'll meet up one day.

Picked mine up about a month ago from an old man in Olympia. He was restoring it and sadly suffered a stroke 3 years ago and has been in a wheelchair since. I got it for $3k and I could tell I was breaking his heart as I drove away. He did a great job with the restoration. He converted the EFI to a single carb that's not quite enough for the car, so that's the next upgrade I'll be looking at in the future.

Would love to see some pics of yours.
raykinsella

Post by raykinsella »

Sure! Just give me your email address and I'll send you a couple!
lams116

Post by lams116 »

Just bought a '72 411 wagon with original paint and great interior. leaks at oil cooler. how hard is this to fix?

I'm in Centralia, Wa. Sounds like there are a few of us in the PNW!

-Paul
Lars S

Post by Lars S »

Welcome Paul!
Looks like a nice car (we love plenty of pics at this site :wink: ).
Below is an article describing how to fix the oil cooler seals with the engine in the car, this is for a Porsche 914 with the same engine, maybe the heat chambers and other stuff will make it harder for a 411...Im not sure...

/Lars S

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle ... _seals.htm
Steve412l

Post by Steve412l »

Hi all I'm Steve from Hull, East Yorkshire, UK. Had my '73 412LE Variant since 1980. Bought it as my first daily driver, but it soon started rotting in all the usual places. I was about to send it for scrap, but on the off chance visited a VW show, and was told it was quite rare. So...shortly after, major rebuild! Me and my brother did all the work...stripped it back to bare metal, welded it, sprayed it, rebuilt the engine and running gear...took us about 3 years of weekends! It's been a regular show winner ever since. Now need to replace all the rubber fuel hoses, cos the fuel eats through the old stuff. Anyone know where to get hold of a new fuel damper? Or the rubber seal that fits round the fuel filler neck?
Picture attached is my car!
Lars S

Post by Lars S »

Welcome Paul!

Rally nice car that is! We love to see plenty of pics!

/Lars S
Lahti411

Post by Lahti411 »

I've seen fuel dampers in ebay all the time so check there. Rubber seal between body and fuel filler neck is the same part as used in type 3. I couldn't find a link but it should be available in many palces.
Your car looks great! More pics please!