Roll call! Introduce yourself....

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
wshawn

Post by wshawn »

Been looking around this wondrous internet for any info on my recent acquisition and kind of got led here, so here goes...

Compared to many of you lot out there in the big wide world (surprised about how far the users on this forum are spread) I am a complete novice to the VW world. In fact, my first VW experience stems from buying my wife a Beetle about 5 years ago now. I bought it for her as she, like many, had a Bug (an orange 1302s) many years ago as her first car and regretted parting with it for a number of reasons.

When I saw a 1971 1300 up for sale in the local garage with only one previous owner, one thing led to another and I bought it. Not knowing a lot about them then it was probably not the best buy in the world but a great intro into the world of air-cooled VW's and the tinkering that is needed to keep them going.

I have done lots of work to the bug over the years including repainting it with paint rollers (sounds a bit odd but it worked great) replacing the braking system and a million other little service things to keep it a safe daily runner. The only thing I haven't done myself is the welding it has required to keep it on the road, a skill I intend to learn one day :wink:

That was my initiation over :shock:

It was whilst doing all this stuff to her car that I started wanting an older air-cooled VW of my own. We reached the point a little a while ago that we did not need the large people carrier any longer as the older kids are at the point of driving themselves.

So I started to look around for an air-cooled car for me that we could still use as a practical daily with our youngest kids being 5 & 6 years old and needing to take half the house away with us when go on holidays with our Rapido folding caravan (made in 1979!). The caravan is great by the way and I highly recommend one as an alternative to the camper-vans, going from this...

...to this solid walled caravan with a solid roof and comfy interior with a spacious awning in under an hour :lol:

I decided that the practicalities of a family car ruled out the Ghia's (shame :cry: as I love the looks of these cars), the thing was a bit too military for me (10 years in the armed forces was enough military for one lifetime), the bay and split vans are great but faaarrrrrr too much money for what you get (and would have needed extensive rebuilding) which leads us to the subject of my new car...a 412 :D

a 1972, 412LE Variant (at least that is what it says on the back of it!). It has a few things for me to sort out, but that is half the fun :P

Among some the items on the snag list are the Eberspacher does not work properly, the front near side disc is badly scored (needs replacing but am struggling to find a replacement at the moment as it is the later deeper offset version), the gear selector is a bit of an art (it is a manual), the last few days it has developed a horrible grinding squeal from the front near side (I suspect it is the anti roll bar bushes as when you give it a yank you can see it move in the bushes and hear the noise, albeit a lot quieter) and it runs a bit a rough at low revs (it has the 1.7 fuel injection engine fitted). The body work will also need some work in the summer, in particular the front edge of the bonnet and the rear off side wheel arch. Thankfully the underneath is structurally sound though (I hope!)

Other than that it is great and I look forward to sharing my experiences with it as I learn my around its mechanical intrigues :D

Shawn.

PS. Off to ask a few questions now about my snag list.

PPS Sorry about the length of the post, once I get started...well you can see :roll:
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Hello! Welcome! You should repost your mechanical issues in the main body of this forum so we can start in diagnosing your problems.
Is that really a picture of your wagon?....that looks so clean that it could be a factory publicity photo.....I'm drooling with jelousey! It is the same color as my 412 2-door saloon....which hopefully this coming year will be returned to that level of trim. Ray
wshawn

Post by wshawn »

Hi Ray, that is the most recent pic of my car.

Very cleverly taken from the angle that hides the worst of its "minor" rust spots. As I said the rear right wheel arch, the front edge of the bonnet and if you look closely each end of the scuttle (under the windscreen) where it meets the wings has some surface rust...hopefully all will be rectified when the sun finally returns to the UK.

Of to the main bit now to post up my snag list... :D
wshawn

Post by wshawn »

Hi Ray, that is the most recent pic of my car.

Very cleverly taken from the angle that hides the worst of its "minor" rust spots. As I said the rear right wheel arch, the front edge of the bonnet and if you look closely each end of the scuttle (under the windscreen) where it meets the wings has some surface rust...hopefully all will be rectified when the sun finally returns to the UK.

Of to the main bit now to post up my snag list... :D

Sorry guys it seems to have double posted itself for some reason :shock:
vwfye

Post by vwfye »

some new pics of my car...

i used a bus shifter extender on the auto for a nice easy to reach shifter!
Notchback mid-engine speedster
Little Giant Killer 3
DocLong

Post by DocLong »

I'm Nick.

I've had VW's (air and water) since I was about 15. I'm 26 now.

I just bought a 73 412 with 59k miles on it. It was a Canadian car at one point. It's Maya Brown Metallic, auto, and has a type 3 roof rack on it.

I'm currently in Iraq (medic with 10th mountain.) I've purchased lots of old 'hot rod' parts for the car, and plan to have the body work done, and have the car painted John Deere Blitz Black (it's a matte black.) The top will be gold with a heavy metal flake. The interior will remain mostly stock with exception of the seats and dash 'pad.' Both will have gold Zodiac vinyl covers (seat centers gold, outside black.)

I've already recieved moon caps and portawalls. The front tires are 135's the rear are 165's.

This is my first type4 (had an 82 vanagon with a type 4.) I'm still learning the type 4's....
nick sparrow

Post by nick sparrow »

I have been around VW for quite some time now. My introduction to type 4 cars was through a local garage once I blew up my Beetle some 10 years ago. I still have that 412LS wagon which was taken off the road for a quick touch up but alas has turned into a rather large rebuild and repaint. Still keeps me quiet at weekends. I have since with another VW friend bought and scrapped about another 5 type 4 wagons over the last few years. I have kept a large amount of parts but the rest had to go to the scrap yard as lack of room. I have a few other VW's as well some of which are also projects on the go. I used my 412 wagon for 8 years as a daily driver, having done quite a few things to it. i also picked up a few years back up a 1971 411 wagon which has been in a garage since 1976, again an amazing buy but needs some work to get it back on the road.....after all its been sitting in a garage for quite some time.....engine is out and getting ready to rebuild......still lots to do .....must quit my job really to work on them full time just not to sure if the bank balance would cope..... :D
1974 412 LS Variant
1971 411 Variant
1971 Bay Window camper
1985 Scirocco Gt
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

So you are in Wellington? do you guys go out to the airport to watch all of the crazy high crosswind landings? Wellington is reputed to have teh windiest airport in the world. Ray
nick sparrow

Post by nick sparrow »

Hi there Ray yes it is quite crazy some times I have been on flights when they have closed the airport but we did not have enough fuel to go any where else so had to land all be it some what sideways and rather up and down.....still local pilots are quite good at it......hence still here to talk about it....How are you and your VW's going, did you ever finish the copper diaghram you were testing ?.....I still have a long way to go on my cars but time I have just short of cash right now having moved to a new house.....need a bigger garage but hey can't have everything....
:D

nick
1974 412 LS Variant
1971 411 Variant
1971 Bay Window camper
1985 Scirocco Gt
khh48

Post by khh48 »

Hi
Im Knut from Revetal, Norway.
I have been working on aircooled vws the last 8 years now. I have a 67 bug and a 71 camper.
My cousin sent me out looking on a 72 model 411E variant, it was not to bad so i bought it for him. To bad he didnt want it afterall.
So suddenly i was the proud owner of the car :roll:
Se pics here: http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/khh48/

I hate working on T4 engines esp the fu....g carbs. So im glad its a fuelinjected engine in this one :)

I really like the car, just have to fix the brakes and some rust and a new set of (winter)tyres.
412s2

Post by 412s2 »

Hi Knut, that's an interesting collection of cars you have there and a good looking 411!!

Do all 411s have those vents behind where the front bumper usually sits? My 412 doesn't have them and I can't remember noticing them on any other Type 4 I have seen :?:
khh48

Post by khh48 »

412s2 wrote:Hi Knut, that's an interesting collection of cars you have there and a good looking 411!!

Do all 411s have those vents behind where the front bumper usually sits? My 412 doesn't have them and I can't remember noticing them on any other Type 4 I have seen :?:
I dont know about those vent, has not seen any other 411 around here
[email protected]

412 Fan

Post by [email protected] »

My name is Jasmin, and my husband and I live in Eugene, Oregon. I happen to be looking for a car a few years back and in the paper they listed a VW 412, which I'd never heard of. It was a 1974 gold two door sedan with a manual transmission. The mechanic we bought it from said it was rare. First it ran well; then the transmission failed. When looking for parts we discovered just how rare it was. We did find a transmission within an hours drive, we had it installed and it ran well again for a couple of weeks.

We noticed some fluid leaking onto our feet and then the hydraulic clutch failed. The car has been sitting for two years because we need a rubber ring! We've been looking for a master with not luck.

I'd love to drive the thing again, but every time I look at the thing sitting I feel pain.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Welcome Jasmin!

For the clutch master cylinder, there are some rebuild sets available through ebay now and then, just keep your eyes open.

Greetings,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
herr_sparky

Post by herr_sparky »

i'm bill from Portland, OR. i have a 1973 412 wagon and a fleet of motorcycles and bicycles. i've been in the bike industry for about 10 years, mostly as a mechanic, but also manufacturing and a year as a courier.

i bought my car in '97 and have driven the pants off it since then, all over Oregon, Washington, and California. i used to love roaring down I5 at an effortless 85mph and watch the stunned faces as i passed them in a 30-year-old ACVW. (!)

i was really into it a few years ago, then it developed several crippling problems, so i parked it and distracted myself with old motorbikes for a while. now i've come back to it as i finally have an adequate workspace and i'm really hoping to have it back on the road by the end of the summer.