Fitting 4W disc brakes? Other wheels?

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
ubercrap

Post by ubercrap »

The Volvo caliper I was suggesting is the same one func412 is using, a direct bolt-on to the 412 spindle, no modifications. The credit must go to him. It is the 4 piston caliper found on many 200 series Volvos circa 1980's. There were TONS of these cars in the local pull-a-part yard. I have some nice rebuilt ones I got for $150 on ebay, but for fitting purposes I pulled a used pair myself for $18. Func412 was looking at rotors with a diameter between 296-302mm. I don't know the thickness of the clamped part of the rotor new, it doesn't give the specs in the Brembo catalog. The min. thickness is listed as 22mm, so my best guess is that they are probably 24mm new. Maybe I should make some friends with some guys at a Porsche dealer service center, and they could slip me some rotors worn past spec out the back door for me... :lol: Right now, the calipers I have, as they were removed from the car, have 22mm between the pads, which look like they have substantial life left in them. I don't know if they can safely open and function wider, I haven't tried it yet. BillK, thanks for filling me in on the Porsche disc center hole sizing issue, I haven't held the appropriate Porsche disc in my hand and was thinking it might be the same as the wheel center bore, which apparently it isn't. As you suggested, this would be beneficial, as rotors could be replaced without modification. Ray, I will heed the warnings about the centering ring. If going the route of buying those welded/studded rotors, I would base the decision on whether one could request the centering ring to be left on.
davidt

Re: Fitting 4W disc brakes? Other wheels?

Post by davidt »

What is the distance between the Volvo calliper mounting lugs (in mm)? I thought this would be a great brake upgrade for my 1302 Superbug but I think the calliper mounting lug spacing is different between the 1302 and the 412.

Thanks
David
func412

Post by func412 »

Was it 9 years ago already? Damn time goes quickly. I have to check if I can find a caliber easily from the garage.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

func412 wrote:Was it 9 years ago already? Damn time goes quickly. I have to check if I can find a caliber easily from the garage.

Welcome back! Missed seeing your updates.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

I am actually in the midst of this as well. I am searching for jetta Mk4 rear caliper rebuild kits that have the parts for the e brake rebuild as well. No go so far. I cod just as easily use a caliper from several other models if it does not work out. I am between either fabbing mounts from 1/2" steel plate....or using the CB Performance cast aluminum type 3 sandwhich mounts that sjould bolt right up with minor mods.

If I cannot exactly get a sliding single piston caliper that is readily rebuildable.....I can also go to a fixed two piston model same as the front end.....which for sure means fabbing the mount.....and use a Wilwood manual scissor type parking brake. Ray