Spare parts anyone

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
Roland Kunz

Spare parts anyone

Post by Roland Kunz »

Hello

Yes after all the years the connectors get slightly loose. Especialy if the get hot the material will loose his inert clamp tension.

Next is that they oxid after years and the wire also can oxid unvisible just short behind the connector. The water follows the capilare effect up inside the hule and can start a corrosion inside.

Grüsse
ray greenwood

Spare parts anyone

Post by ray greenwood »

Roland...thank you for all of the good info. All of the contacts you showed in your picture though...are very late. None of them are even similar to what D-type used on the card edge connector of the ECU. Some of them I already use, in the gray connector (l-type/motronic) They are getting much harder to find on this continent. Dealerships do not sell products for repair of electrical harnesses on this continent any longer...and rarely repair anything themselves. All is replaced as a unit. While the customer service here is excellent...the actual knowlage of dealer mechanics at VW is very limited. Most dealers deal so many types/makes of vehicle...the mechanics and parts personnel are very generic. M504specs.....Let me know what you find at Boeing!!!!! I will pay for what you find if it is the right stuff. The carpet for your car is easy to find at SEWFINE or TMI...by the yard in 42-50" roll width...check in the back of the VW mags...and get their catalogue. It is correct factory type and color. The crimper tool you can get from Palladin tools. All they make are crimping tools...there is no substitute for one of these crimpers. They will crimp every contact in your vehicle...front to rear...with a perfect effortless factory crimp. They cost a bit more for very good reason. When you look at their tools on the website...you will see what I mean. The FI will have nothing but trouble without factory crimps. Tarnish, corrosion and vibration will cause poor connections...IN WEEKS! Crimpers from Palladin, Luna tools,AMP, MOTOROLA...will all work. Chances are...if its under 50 bucks...and available at a local store...it won't. Ray
Roland Kunz

Spare parts anyone

Post by Roland Kunz »

Hello

Yes the picturse show the L-jetronic, KE-Jetronic or Digifant on timer contacts.
I´ll try to hunt them down next weeks and mybe have some ordernumbers.

VW Spare parts underwend also a strucrural change in germany and they thin out the program as each item costs hosting.
When the amont from sold parts drop they refuse to refill the bins and sell out what they have. German product law says the spare parts must be warantet for a 10 year period and Mercedes and VW had been used to support there products much longer ( As they made the cars for a longer lifespan anyhow ).
However the price for spare parts isn´t waranted and in germany many companys use there spare part division to recharge for the lower sale price.

Some 10 years ago a geman car magazine just went out shoping to build a car from sparparts and to outline the priceline the baseprice was a VW Golf II built from spareparts ( no labour the just went trough the pricelist and didn´t count all the nuts and bolts just the major parts) Now buying those parts come over 80% from the factory sale price but based on that as zero line some companys reached over 250%.
The japanese companys said due the shiping costs.

Now today the german cars where made more competive say more car for the buck like the japanese showed and and this leads to not repairfriendly solutions for the endcostumer.

Rant mode off.

Grüsse
bowlsby

Spare parts anyone

Post by bowlsby »

I just stumbled on this posting and wanted to chime in. I mostly haunt the 914 BBS sites and was delighted to see the discussion here. There is a wealth of information here and thanks to the knowledgeable posters.

In the last few years, I have done and continue to do extensive research on the D-Jet FI systems and the FI wiring harnesses in particular, partly in an effort to create replacement FI harnesses for the D-Jet 914 cars.

Many of the correct OEM parts are available from limited sources here in the US and abroad. Not VW/Porsche/MB dealers, or Wurth, or other usual sources, they are useless for our purposes...any parts they may have are NOS and of very limited availability. Superior substitute parts are available for the few parts which are NLA, or certain parts can be simply reused, as they are durable enough, and the demand for replacement harnesses has not been high.

Remember that D-Jet is the earliest production FI system and is not even close to the state of the art by todays standards. The factory used simple parts on these simple cars and didn't go crazy with oxygen free wiring, 2000 degree F casing, Teflon wiring or anything else exotic. Our cars just do not require that level of sophistication or engineering.

I rebuild FI harnesses for the D-Jet Porsche 914 cars that are very well made and affordable using OEM or better components. There are 6 different configurations for the 914. Costs quickly escalate beyond reason when using overkill parts.

If the demand is there, and because many of the parts are identical just configured differently, I would be happy to assist anyone with any FI harness problem they may have. Repairs, rebuilds whatever, but I just don't sell the parts separately.

Jeff Bowlsby
nick sparrow

Spare parts anyone

Post by nick sparrow »

Hello there 411/412 fans just joined the forum last week and am amazed how much you can learn reading through the different threads.
I currently own a 1974 412LS, which I use as a daily driver here in New Zealand. I have rebuilt a 2000cc engine to go back in and was thinking of using the D-jetronic set-up I recovered from two other type 4 cars one a 412 and the other a 411.
If anyone could help explain ways of upgrading the injection system I am interested in playing with these as the old carbs I have are not really up to the job.
It seems you can replace the ECU with a modern HalTech unit but I may hold off due to the cost at the moment. I have cleaned up the parts from the other cars and I also picked up a copy of the Henry Elfrink book, which is helpful to a degree.
Do they exist………? I have been after some taillights and front indicator units as mine have seen better days, along with a few minor rear end shunts they are not looking so great these days. If anyone has or knows where one could find such part please let me know.
There are very few type4 cars in this country but I keep finding out about other like minded people around, finding body parts and trim is very hard, mechanical parts its not so bad even came across some new front disks and rear drums for my 412 last year…the guy had no idea what they were so I got them at a very good price.
Any help on either the injection ideas or the taillights /indicators parts would be most appreciated. I am always interested to see and hear what other 411/12 owners are up to there are not too many of these great cars around....I will try and post some photos of my car here soon.

nick
Darren

Spare parts anyone

Post by Darren »

Hi,Sara is it? this is Darren, Tom Notch's friend.I'm a type 4 fiend and have owned at least a dozen of them over the last five years(two door sedan and wagon and four door) currently I own three of them! One is a'72 411 wagon which I purchased in Redmond right down the hill from you.The other two are a pair of '73 412's, one driver and one parts car. However, I must confess, the type 4 is not my only weakness when it comes to vw's. I also have a '55 single cab, a '65 type 3 ghia, a '64 notch, a'75 914 w/parts car and a '74 westy pop top! The only non vw I own shall remain nameless. No I'm not a dealer just a hobbiest out of control! Well anyway I could go on all night so I'd better get going , Tom says he gave you my number, give me a call sometime as I haven't a computer of my own yet, you know ... old school! bye for now. D.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by m504specs:
<B>I've got a few spare engine parts and an extra seat. I also have some 412 light boxes (the ones under the front headlights.) and some extra wheels. bits and pieces, but in good shape. I have an oil funnel for an oil breather. and there is a parts store near me that practically gives away type 4 parts, because no one ever comes in looking for them. I went in there to find parts and they had a couple brand new air filters that they gave me for free.

I'm also getting ready to ramp up to make some seat covers, and some new carpet for the back deck. (I have an industrial sailmakers sewing machine and I learned upholstry years ago.) If any of you want me to, I can trace out a pattern from my 412 seats when I get ready to do the upholstry and carpets.

Funny, but I can't think rationally about this car. I buy every book I get my hands on. (I love Half Price Books. I found an old mechanics repair manual for a type 4, but it wasn't for my car model and year. I wish I had bought it, because I didn't realize how hard the type four books are to come by. If I see another one, I'll pick it up. (they usually want about $6.00 for them. It's a steal.)

I'm looking for a 412 repair manual that is for the 73 station wagon. I have the Haynes, 411/412 manual, but some of the detail is missing and I'd like to get the VW official repair book, if anyone out there has it. I'll pay for copying.

I discovered that if I laminate a cover, Kinko's or Staples will wire coil bind any book. Then they lay nice and flat while you are working. I laminate the diagram pages before binding them.

Another hint is to enlarge the wiring and hose diagrams about 3 revolutions, tape them together and color code them. Then I take them to a Lakeshore Curriculum store where I can laminate them for about 30 cents per linear foot. It makes following the diagram, soooooo much eaiser, and you can tack it to the wall in the garage, so it doesn't slide all over the place.

It's amazing what being the mom of a learning disabled kid can teach you.

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>