Stupid Temp Sensor II question

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
19super73

Stupid Temp Sensor II question

Post by 19super73 »

OK, from my testing, it seems that my issues with my L-jet '74 IS the temp sensor II. Now, as 95% of my experience is with Beetles, I am here to ask what is the best way to remove and install this sensor. Of course the intake manifold is in the way. Do I remove the injectors and intake manifold to get at it? Has anyone else found a better and hopefully more simple way of replacing this sensor?
Lars S

Re: Stupid Temp Sensor II question

Post by Lars S »

I dont think it is neccesary to remove the manifold or injectors, the sensor is slightly in front of it and (I think) angled a bit forward. A slotted or deep 13mm socket so the wire has somewhere to go is required.

This is what the 411 workshop manual says:

Some people make special tools, this is from a Porsche 914 site (same Engine but the wire on this one seems extreeeemely long):

/Lars S
19super73

Post by 19super73 »

Thanks! Maybe I'm not holding my face "just right" when I tried to get at it with my socket. I will try again. I used a drill press to drill a hole in the side of my socket to make the job easier. I will give this another shot and report back.
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

Drill out and tap the 6mm screw hole just to the rear of the #4 intake runner flange to the 10x1mm thread of the TSII sensor and forget about the hard to access original location. This is equivalent to what VW did on later FI buses and AC Vanagons.

Here is a picture of the same hole drilled out to the front of the #3 intake runner flange. The only reason for choosing the #4 location over the #3 location is ease of access.

19super73

Post by 19super73 »

Well, I'm here to report that this issue here was me! I have a 1/2" drive deep 13mm socket. Well, that was the reason I was having issues. It works fine on the Beetle, but not so much on a Type 4. I tried to get at it with a 3/8 drive 13mm deep socket and it gets it. I will mod this socket and see how the job goes. If I screw it up, well, I will do what Wildthings shows and tap a different area.
dawie

Post by dawie »

Buy a set of long "tube spanners", even a cheap set will do. It looks like a plug spanner and is hollow inside, leaving space for the wire.
19super73

Post by 19super73 »

The other socket I used a drill press to modify worked wonderfully, combined with extensions that allow about 15 degrees of sideway movement. This socket is now in my VW specific toolbox along with other VW tools and the Torquemeister.