Differences in rear coils?

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
dphdo

Differences in rear coils?

Post by dphdo »

Greetings all! It's been a while. Anyway, to make it short, what re the differences between rear springs with 1 paint mark, versus 2, versus 3 paint marks? I know there are two different colors, blue and yellow, but what is the difference between 1 yellow mark and two marks, etc? I have looked an looked to no avail for the answer to this question.

Soooooooooo, I guess I really want to know is if it's safe to run a 2 paint mark with a three paint mark of the same color? I hope this makes sense.

SMILES :D
Dale
raygreenwood

Re: Differences in rear coils?

Post by raygreenwood »

typically the major differences are between yellow and blue. The yellow ones are slightly softer in ride control in the font end and have heavier load control like for the wagon...in the rear. From long ago if memory serves, the paint marks are grading for actual height differences when unsprung. There were also some differences from year to year with some having the bottom or top of the coil ground flat or left round. Check the heights and then support them and stand a 30-50 lb weight on each one and measure the difference.

I would say a 1 with a 2 or a two with a three would be okay. Ray