1.7 TB

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
bradey bunch

1.7 TB

Post by bradey bunch »

Hello hello.
I have a question about stock D-jet TBs. I have a 1.7 TB. When the idle screw is turned all the way in, a fair amount of air is allowed into the engine ( I can tell by placing my finger over the little opening in the TB with the air intake hose off). Should there be any flow at all when the screw is turned all the way in? I am asking this because my idle is a little higher than it should be... sigh...
plus, this would give me an opportunity to upgrade to a 2.0L TB if it does indeed need replacing or fixing.
I havent been able to find much info on this aside from the fact that some TBs had holes in the throttle plates, which mine does not.

Ooh. and one more thing.

When I remove the hose that goes from the intake hose to the AAR, and blow into the hose so that it blows into the intake, the idle drops... I am not blowing into the aar, I am blowing into the filtered air before the TB... see the pic above, the arrow shows the direction that I am blowing. Is that normal? This is when the car is completley warm and the aar is completley closed, and I can almost stall it doing this.

Thanks a bunch, sorry for the essay.

Braden
raygreenwood

Re: 1.7 TB

Post by raygreenwood »

Yes, the idle screw does still bypass some air hwne screwed in all the way. you picture does not seem to open up so I do not know what TB opening you are refering to. Ray