004 manual to 5-speed?

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
dawie

004 manual to 5-speed?

Post by dawie »

Would it be possible to build a 5 speed transmission useing:

Final drive housing, diff, and pinion shaft from 004 transmission.

Gears and housing from eighties Santana/ Quantum/ Passat or Audi?

Obviously some major machining/welding will have to be done. The Passat/Audi type gearbox housing will have to be cut and welded/modified to bolt to the 004 final drive housing.
Will the pinion shaft from 004 work with later type gears, or is it too short?
Maybe Passat/Audi type input shaft will fit through 004 pinion shaft. Then clutch disc with matching splines have to be used.

Looks like some Passat transmissions have their shift shaft offset to one side, while others use cable shifting.

Turning the complete Passat/Audi type transmission upside down would reverse rotation, but CV joints will be too high, nosecone part will be too high, (clearance problems in a 412 car), not to mention lubrication issues.

I did follow the discussion here and on the other board about the 004, but know very little about the Passat/Audi type transmission. Not sure if the Santana/ Quantum names are correct. Here they were all called Passats, from 74 when they were called "Dashers"? in other countries.

Input from Ray and others will be appreciated.
Thanks.
albert

Re: 004 manual to 5-speed?

Post by albert »

hi,,dawe,, have you look for the trs audi 5,on the audi 1990 model 80 or90,, the motor is an 5 cilynder and trs 5 speed,, longitudinal in the car,, not transversal like the passat,, the shifting is with a cable,, i thing the audi, trs can fit on the 412 with some plate adaptor,if you can find an audi ,,1990 book you can see the trs pict,good luck,, albert
albert

Post by albert »

DAWIE,,one more thing,,, you know,, the cv joint is différent on each car,, the 412 cv joint is good for 32 dr.angle,,if my mémory is good,, i d,t can remember for the audi or passat,, i have a list some were for all the cv joint degrées,, but make attention with that wend you change the trs. you can broke your cv joint if you d,t have the good angle,,albert
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

dawie wrote:Would it be possible to build a 5 speed transmission useing:

Final drive housing, diff, and pinion shaft from 004 transmission.

Gears and housing from eighties Santana/ Quantum/ Passat or Audi?

Obviously some major machining/welding will have to be done. The Passat/Audi type gearbox housing will have to be cut and welded/modified to bolt to the 004 final drive housing.
Will the pinion shaft from 004 work with later type gears, or is it too short?
Maybe Passat/Audi type input shaft will fit through 004 pinion shaft. Then clutch disc with matching splines have to be used.

Looks like some Passat transmissions have their shift shaft offset to one side, while others use cable shifting.

Turning the complete Passat/Audi type transmission upside down would reverse rotation, but CV joints will be too high, nosecone part will be too high, (clearance problems in a 412 car), not to mention lubrication issues.

I did follow the discussion here and on the other board about the 004, but know very little about the Passat/Audi type transmission. Not sure if the Santana/ Quantum names are correct. Here they were all called Passats, from 74 when they were called "Dashers"? in other countries.

Input from Ray and others will be appreciated.
Thanks.

I would think that trying to build something around the 411/412 type 004 transaxle differential would be an astronomical undertaking....with very limited chance of success.
The pinion shaft from a 411/412.....is not only too long....it is totally different from any pinion shaft ever manufactured by VW/audi.
(a) it is about 26" to 28" long (memory fails me here)
(b) it is the actual main gear stack shaft for the transmission
(c) it is hollow. The main input shaft runs through the center of it and drives the transmission from the tail cone end.
(d) the support bearing for the pinion shaft and countershaft mounting are contained in the center section of the transmission case. As such, they set all of the gears stack clearances. This is a totally different design than anything out there.

I think that albert is right that you could do better by looking for a different transmission with a ring and pinion that could be flopped. The type 011 and 013 transmissions from Audi 4000 and 5000 are promising in this respect. Ray
albert

Post by albert »

,yes,,RAY,, i thing the audi trs can fit,, but we have 4 model on the audi,, the ,,014 is 4 speed fit for an 4 cilynder 1.8 litre with final drive 4.11 to 1,,,the model 013 is made for an motor 4 cilynder 1.8 ,,5 speed,with final drive 4.11 to 1,, the model 093 is made for the 5 cilynder ,,2,,2.2,2.3 liter,,with the final drive 5.22to 1,, 5 speed ,with this model i am not shure if the 1.7 or 1.8 of the 412 can take this final drive,,we have too the model 016 ,,5 speed for the 5 cilynders ,,with the final drive 4.11 to 1,, with hydrolic cluth slave cilynder,, on the pict,, the trs for the 412 and the audi 5,speed,are appx,,with the same dimention,, but i d,t put the 2 trs side by side for to see,,i have the audi book ,, if you want some pict.albert
fusername

Post by fusername »

I think I have an audi bently manual. pay shipping and its yours, maybe it woudl help? I think it is for the 4000s or something?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
dawie

Post by dawie »

Thanks everybody for the advice.

I have a Haynes 411/412 manual, but know very little about the Audi type transmissions. Thought they had hypoid offset ring gear and pinions.
If some of them are inline spiral type, it indeed looks promising.

Thanks Fusername. Will send you P.M.
fusername

Post by fusername »

pm recieved, I have had this thing forever and never got around to selling it. If it can get an ambitious project started, its yours. PMsent.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.