Procar seats for 411/412

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
raygreenwood

Procar seats for 411/412

Post by raygreenwood »

I got a reply back from Procar seats today (part of scat enterprises). Their series 90 seat could be a very good replacement for our front seats. Its very nearly the same dimensions. I could probably graft my original headrests on. I know for sure I can bolt them directly onto our seat mounts after removing the stock seat bottom spring assembly. I asked about putting on a covering material of my choice and color and here is the reply...and here are the links to the site.

From: Ron Greiner [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of ProcarOrderDesk
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 1:32 PM
To: Ray Greenwood
Subject: RE: Seat cover material

HI Ray

If you supply the material we can send it to our seat manufacturer in Malyasia and have them
make the seats with your material

The High back Pro 90 seats would cost the same as covered with our material since we would have
to send the material overseas
your cost would be $ 250.00 per seat
The Low back version would cost $ 220.00 per seat

we cannot use the sportsman material since that is from a different seat manufacturer
and they don’t share materials

plus shipping

Ron Greiner
Scat Enterprises
310-370-5501 ext 133
[email protected]

To: ProcarOrderDesk
Subject: Seat cover material

Hello, I just have a question or two. I am restoring a VW 412. The series 90 seat you have appears to be nearly identical in lower cushion and back proportions to the seats in our cars. The mounting is unique but that can be fabricated to the seat at my end. Our factory headrests can also be grafted to fit your seats with little problem. Your seats are very high quality.

My question is….do you stitch your own coverings or is it something that is outsourced?
The reason for this question is that I am wondering if I provided custom vinyl or tweed to match my vehicle….if you could produce series 90 seats with my vinyl? It may also help to know that VW 411/412 seat covers and seats fit no other vehicles and replacements are made nowhere on this planet.
I am in touch with quite a few 411/412 people and we are all searching for a solution for seating materials. Our only simple source right now is a possible group buy from Sewfine….with one of us sending a rather complete seat to Sewfine and a fairly high cost for patterning to be absorbed.

I like your seat. I have seen one up close and it would fit beautifully to our unique mounts. If you were able to use a vinyl from an outside source I could send you required yardage and would be willing to pay the difference.

Or….I could even be happy with a series 90 seat in black synthetic leather like you use on your sportsman series with a blue or gray velour insert.

Let me know. There could be quite a few people with these cars interested in this. Thank you! Ray Greenwood

http://www.procarbyscat.com/

here is the catalog PDF download http://www.procarbyscat.com/pdf/PROCAR_10.pdf

Scroll down to Pro-90 series 1300...and check out the dimensions diagram.
Ray
albert

Re: Procar seats for 411/412

Post by albert »

RAY,,her look are super,, in my 412 i have the audi 200 ,,électric front seat,,i like that for her électric adjustment,, not expensive in the yard,, and easy to put in the car,, you can see my instalation in the ,,,monwest.com,, on bb412,,picture,,albert
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

I saw them Albert. They are very nice! The only difficulty with them is that they are almost non-existent in yards here in the US....and when they are they are expensive and getting new covers or covers in other colors is very difficult.

These seats cost about $255 each. I also got a reply back that they will take 15 weeks round trip. Ray
albert

Post by albert »

RAY,, no. impossible,, in my yard they scrap all that,, i buy that for, 25.$ each, amazing,
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

:shock: might have to come to where you are and open an export shop :lol: Ray
albert

Post by albert »

:mrgreen: yes ,you can do a good business,,ha,,ha,, no,,but ,,here we have a new law for the car more of 10 years olds,, the gornvernment geeve 3k$ for your old car if you buy a new car,, and all the yards are full of old car,, but nothing for the 411-412,,many vw and audi beefore 1995 my yard is a self service yard,, you take your tool box and you remoove your parts ,, for this reason they d,t charge a big price,, oh for your information i will bee in the ,,ct,hamton beach. , and maine in usa afther the 17 of july with my 412,, for couple days of vacation,for to pic-up 2 front windshield and center link, albert
ubercrap

Post by ubercrap »

Within the last 2-3 years,one of the pull a part yards around here was packed with big Audis like the 100-200 at times. The other one, packed with Audi 5000's. That wave is gone now- think all the auto transaxles kicked the bucket. Invariably they would be 5cyl./auto or 2.8 V6/auto and have monster miles on them. Then there was a wave of Mk 3 Jetta, B3/B4 Passat autos. Some of the later Audis looked like new cars still, though, those things are durable!
albert

Post by albert »

yes,,HUBER,, on my 2 old audi 200,, and my 4 audi 100,,afther 450k,klm,, the front seat was like new,, ok i am not a 200 pound men,, but the audi quality is excellent,,if you can find in your yard,, audi black leather seat buy that,, they are full électric and heating,,too,, and for to fit on the 412 rail is not a problem,, you keep your old ,,412 parts for to weld on the audi seat,,if you want the pict. for that,,send me ,,pm,,
ubercrap

Post by ubercrap »

I have often seen some nice 4 door seats at a junkyard, except these don't lean forward for access to the back seat in a 2 door. Do you have a solution or just make due some other way like sliding the seat forward?
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

I have 4 seats from 411/412's. Two from a two door and two from a four door. The tilt latch can be put onto the non tilting seats. All of the mounting points are there. The seat frames are universal for these cars. The problem I have with getting seats from other cars are several:

(1) the seats in the 411/412 were really nice. I would love to have the original seats. But....the best options I have found for proffesional reupholstering of them.....to be able to have a replaceable seat cover.....is to have one of the larger outfits like Sewfine make a pattern from a decent seat cover. Because of the complexity of the 411/412 seats....they said they will need me to ship a usuable cover and a complete seat frame. Not a problem. The cost for the patterning (that will then be on fiel for future use) will be about $400+.
The seat kits themselves are about $200+ per seat. Still not bad. The 400+ for patterning "could" be spread out over a group buy.

(2) I'm not just looking for "some" decent seat to sit on. My 412 has purposely been off the road for about 6 years. Because I drove it daily from the mid 90's until 6 years ago....it got half restored at least three times. It was very costly. I vowed that it would not be on the road again until its complete and correct. Its too hard and costly on the vehicle and is constant work.
That being said...if I'm going to be doing any fabricating at all....I want either the original seat...or something nearly identical....and in the colors and patterns I want....because I'm not going to be using them until the car is complete. I don't mind spending $800-900 on and interior, but I want it to be done and done correctly.

(3) I am looking a bit at doing something similar to what Albert has done. I have found that you can remove the entire upper and lower padding/spring assemblies from the seat rail mounts of the 412. These leaves all of the stock mounts, adjustments and the plastic skirts. Another seat of the right size and shape can be mounted to that platform easily.
I am looking at the procar seats....because in almost every dimension except for the headrest...they are very close to the 411/412. If I can find out the headrest post dimension and spacing I may be able to have it slightly modified or do it myself to take original headrests. Those...I can stitch covers for myself.

(4) The rear seat...is virtually identical in every way to a late type 3 with long armreest....at least close enough that the springs and padding can be tweaked to use a Sewfine late type 3 rear seat kit.
So.....I could buy the Procar seats....and send them original materials from Sewfine to sew the covers with a tweed insert...and then buy the rear type 3 kit from sewfine in the same materials. The door panels I can reproduce myself with all of the same embossing (but I will do mine in the same tweed as the door panels).
Or....go the really hard route and have a seat kit pattern made by Sewfine. That will not guarantee success though.....as the type 4 seat has many parts and is very complex in assembly.
My only issue with the Audi seat...is that it will be another used seat with limited life...and getting seat covers for it will be just as difficult.....and it will be rare to fine something that matches my new interior. Ray
ubercrap

Post by ubercrap »

Ah, I see one can mount another seat on the "skeleton" of these seats. I haven't really taken any of these apart yet to see what is in there. Honestly, I don't have a need right now, have too many of everything just about.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Oh boy! are you in for a treat! These are complicated seats. Ray
albert

Post by albert »

hello,,RAY AND HUBER,,my first option with my audi frame was to put the original 412 leatherrette on the audi frame,,and the 412 leatherette fit no.1 on the audi frame ,, i have cut litle bit of foam on the audi foam for to adjust the 412 leatherrette,,i have the pict. and one year afther i have find in my yard ,,( for bargin price ,,25.$ each,,, the mercedes 190 ,,1990,, seat kit,,front and rear,, in perfect condition ,,black leatherrette,, like the look of the 412 ,, but betther quality,, they are not hot or cold ,, with the weather,, and anti-slip,, wy ,,,a kind of overlap,,in the line of the leather,, ( in french we name that ,,,bourelet,,, of 1/8 deep,,,, and the mercedes leather fit no.1,, too on the audi frame,, with betther look,, and for to swing the back of the seat,,we have need to remoove only one bolt on the audi frame ( the top bolt is the stopper ) no interférence with the électricity,,and we can put the handle and mécanic of the ,,any model of vw 1990 to 2000,, for to take the locker and the handle,, the audi frame is prémolding for the réception of the handle on the side of the seat,but majors restriction is to relocation of the battery,, the électric systhem onder the front seat take more space,,now my battery is in the trunk,, ,if you want more detail,and pict.,you know my adress,,,albert
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Thank you Albert! i will be taking a look. I am looking at all options....just so I know what the options are. Ray