Heater box/J-tube to a 411?

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
4-eleven

Heater box/J-tube to a 411?

Post by 4-eleven »

Hi, I'm thinking about getting my 411 on the road again and have to fix a few things before it can pass the Vehicle Inspection.
The heater boxes are long gone so I need new ones but none of the dealers here in Scandinavia seem to be able to get hold of them anymore, what's it like in the rest of the world, where do you get your heater boxes from?

Does a 72-78 transporter heater box fit on my 70's 411?
Since I'm just going to use my 411 in the summer I could use J-tubes instead if thats easier to get hold of, any tip of J-tube dealers?
wshawn

Re: Heater box/J-tube to a 411?

Post by wshawn »

I'm using the heat exchangers from a Type 2 on my 412.

The outer case needed slight modification to for the heater connection but other than that they work well. I think you just have to match the shape of exhaust manifold.
champagne superbeetle

Post by champagne superbeetle »

Not to hijack for too long, but is that a sunroof in your avatar, 4-eleven? Factory?
ubercrap

Post by ubercrap »

There were factory sunroofs. There was a 411 for parts for sale in Texas a few years ago with one. Very rarely seen in the U.S. Heck, there were all sorts of cool factory options that one doesn't see very often. How about the limited slip differential? I think somebody mentioned that might have only been used in police spec. cars.
4-eleven

Post by 4-eleven »

wshawn: so the type2 72-78 ones fits with a small modification as long as the shape of the exhaust manifold fits on the car? Will have a clooser look on those. Thanks.

Champagne, ubercap: it's not a factory sunroof, it's an aftermarket sunroof from 'Golde'. (99% sure it's a Golde...) In the car when I bought it there was a receipt from 1972 or around that time for a sunroof installation, and an old newspaper article about installing sunroofs from the same year. So I guess the owner saw the article and regret not ordering the car with an original sunroof and installed one :wink:

Don't have any good pictures of the car but here is one where you can see the sunroof better, the ugly plastic visor is gone today... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
champagne superbeetle

Post by champagne superbeetle »

Very nice ... I'd consider a wagon that looked like that. 8)