White front indicator for 412

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
Hulken

Re: White front indicator for 412

Post by Hulken »

We will make them as the original lens, as delivered in Norway. Not sure if they are the same as yours? If you search for pictures of my car, they will be the same.
Hulken

Post by Hulken »

Prices arrived today, and man - they are expencive! We are talking $350 a pair.... Production will be limited to maximum 15 sets. What do you think guys?
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

$5250....divide bt 1y sets at $350 each .I'm betting that that barely pays for the mold work....even in a resin cast. I was wondering what you guys expected to pay per set and at what quantity.
Good molding work requires good mold making. Ray
bradey bunch

Post by bradey bunch »

Sadly, that does not fit in my tiny, student sized budget. It is a great idea, wish I had some spare cash..

Braden
Hulken

Post by Hulken »

raygreenwood wrote:$5250....divide bt 1y sets at $350 each .I'm betting that that barely pays for the mold work....even in a resin cast. I was wondering what you guys expected to pay per set and at what quantity.
Good molding work requires good mold making. Ray

They have done this work before, with good results so I expect good quality. I had no idea of the costs before we started. Don't know what material they are using for the molds, but they only last for about 15 pieces before they are crap....
vwfye

Post by vwfye »

i will also not be able to purchase. that is well beyond my budget, sorry.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

I know how I would do them. There are numerous facsimile casting resins used by injection molding makers to duplicate surfaces. They can capture very fine detail with shrinkage that can be held under .001". They have a hardness and consistency of body work putty but a bit more rigid when cured. Into that....I would feed carefully heated SAN or some similar resin that normally is used in "real" injection molding...then draw a vacuum on the mold to evacuate spaces that are normally done by high pressure injection molding. Let cool and de-mold. Over just a handfull of impressions, the tolerances of the mold get destroyed. Very intricate details with lots of negative impressions cant generally be done this way....but one of our lights can. Also a plaster backed high temp pourable silicone mold could do this. Ray
ubercrap

Post by ubercrap »

Ouch, that is pricey. I have bought 3 different 412 coupes for less than that, so I think you could count me out for now.

Ray, I know exactly the stuff I would use to attempt this kind of thing. Making the molds wouldn't be too difficult. I know where one can get clear UV resistant resin that is made for doing exactly this kind of work, but it sounds like nasty stuff to work with (need respirator, proper air evacuation, etc...), plus you'd need few pieces of the right equipment to make sure it came out nice and bubble free.