412 trans parts questions

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
raygreenwood

Re: 412 trans parts questions

Post by raygreenwood »

I'm in Falls Church Va. I'm short of cash until 2nd week in Jan.....tis the season. I have one spare tranny with issues. It would be nice to have another. But...lets see the needs of others as well. Let me know how things go. Ray
crack monkey

Post by crack monkey »

ahh falls church... right near my old stomping grounds.

i also work in Rockville so that would make a hand off easy
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

I'll see if we can schedule something to get together when the holidays are less crazy. I would like to look at the transmission. Not a pricing issue mind, I just want to make sure it has no issues (other than normal ones). Actually a couple of pictures would do just fine. I would like to know what slave cylinder size it uses....and it would be nice if you could prop it up and remove the plate on the bottom and snap a quick picture of the counter gearshaft which is kind of the telltale of its wear and tear. Not a deal breaker at all...just changes what you have to plan for it. Or I could drive to you and remove the plate and then button it back up. Its about 10 minutes worth of work. Ray
crack monkey

Post by crack monkey »

no problem.... i will get some time saturday to take pics

here is one pic when both pieces were together
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Ah...that tells me half of it right there. Late model...44.5mm slave cylinder and an unbroken tail cone. Its not uncommon for that long shifter tail cone to get broken. Looks goos. It would be nice to see under the sump late to see what the countershaft looks like. Ray
vwbill

Post by vwbill »

So, is that the shaft that you pull out from the cap that has that cover over it in the passenger compartment? Bill,jr.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

No, the shaft you see sticking out to the left is the shift rod. The shaft you are thinking of is the "mainshaft" or input shaft. The cap that covers it is about 3" above that shifter tail on the left. Ray