auto trans switch/sensor black wire

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
btectonic

auto trans switch/sensor black wire

Post by btectonic »

Gang, I've got a leaky gizmo on the driver's side of the auto trans section above the pan (in the same general area as the manual reverse light switch). Single black wire goes to it, doesn't have a nut on the body of it like a typical sensor would.

Neutral safety switch? I'll post a pic later today to help identify.

The mechanic seems to think he needs to drop the pan and remove it from inside the trans case.

thnx,
Brad
raygreenwood

Re: auto trans switch/sensor black wire

Post by raygreenwood »

Oh...that is for the kickdown solenoid most likely. It has a rubber grommet on it. Yes, you might need to take the pan off and remove the solenoid to put a new grommet around the wire. Other items that it could be are the deceleration valve. I'll have to look in the book. Ray
btectonic

Post by btectonic »

Untitled-1.jpg
Mechanic described the location poorly, it looks like it drops down into the valve body. Guessing it has a seal/o-ring at the valve body.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

That is the kick-down solenoid...passing gear. Very important. I believe it had a grommet. I'll will have to pull out my parts book. The part number for the electrical connector piece/plug that is fitted into the tranny body is 003-927-113. The seal...which appears to be a grommet....is 003-927-115.

It appears that there is a bulkhead fitting (003-927-113) similar to a T-1 connector in concept.... that the female terminal for the solenodi unit plugs into inside of the transmission. In turn the female terminal for the wire to the transmission lugs into the outside. So the fitting in the tranny is a double ended male T-1 plug with a grommet around it. Ray
btectonic

Post by btectonic »

Thanks Ray, most helpful!