L-Jet air cleaner

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
btectonic

L-Jet air cleaner

Post by btectonic »

Question for the gang: does the '74 air cleaner housing on the wagons have a seperate mount/pipe like the D-Jet air cleaner or is it a single piece base like the similar bus housing, where the base of the housing itself bolts directly to the body? Thanx!
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Are you asking about the L-jet square type air cleaner or the round one? Ray
btectonic

Post by btectonic »

Square.
btectonic

Post by btectonic »

btectonic wrote:Square.
Looking to solve the round NLA air filter replacement problem for good. The K&N 33-2003 (iirc) should fit in the square air cleaner housing. Fab intake from the AFM connection to the throttle body, port in appropriate clean side/ dirty side hose connections and be done with it.

BillK sent pics of a housing I'm buying from him, looks like it ought to work out.
MGVWfan

Re: L-Jet air cleaner

Post by MGVWfan »

Now here's a thought. I have a '94 Plymouth Voyager minivan with 3.3L (190K miles, poor old decrepid thing), and it's got a compact cubical air cleaner, with the spigots pointed roughly the right way to fit the D-Jet T4 round-housing application. They're all over in the junkyard now. I wonder... :idea:
raygreenwood

Re: L-Jet air cleaner

Post by raygreenwood »

Actually if you go by the measurements of teh stoc AC...there are at least two K&N cleaners that will fit. Years ago....I dug a part # out. I will have to look in my little black book. I am sure that I posted it here somewhere. Proabbaly back in 2000 or 2001. The part I looked for was slightly shorter than the stock filter element so I could put a rubberized foam ring seal on top. Ray