412 resto

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
plumcrazee

412 resto

Post by plumcrazee »

been doing the 412 up since it failed the mot for the past few weeks an thought you guys over the pond would like to see how its going

follow the link and i will keep you posted from now on :lol:

http://www.volkstorque.co.uk/vt/readers ... post462703

matt
Lars S

Post by Lars S »

Nice job Matt!
We will keep following your work, thrust me!

/Lars S
-914/4 -72 daily driver
-Husqvarna 120cc rat bike -48
-Husqvarna 120cc -52
-BMW 600 Road Scrambler -69
-Suzuki T500 Cobra -69
-VW411LE 2-door sedan -70
-Porsche 914/4 -72
-VW412LE 4-door sedan -73
-Suzuki K50 -77
Bill K.

Post by Bill K. »

Wow. You've got that '12 in some compromising positions. Looks like quite a challenge. No going back now... Enjoy it and save the car!

I did a similar resto on my first car - a '70 bug. I drove the car daily for 15 years so once the resto started, it was going to get fixed hell or high water to preserve a member of the family. It was crazy hard work, but very rewarding in the end. What's the story behind all your hard work? Or, are you just plumcrazee? :wink:
plumcrazee

Post by plumcrazee »

Bill K. wrote:Wow. You've got that '12 in some compromising positions. Looks like quite a challenge. No going back now... Enjoy it and save the car!

I did a similar resto on my first car - a '70 bug. I drove the car daily for 15 years so once the resto started, it was going to get fixed hell or high water to preserve a member of the family. It was crazy hard work, but very rewarding in the end. What's the story behind all your hard work? Or, are you just plumcrazee? :wink:

lol yep i am just plumcrazee lol

i have had the car for nearly 3 years without much hassle in daily use done about 18,000 miles in 3 years in her and enjoyed every second. but the main reason for all the blood sweat and tears is the day i went and bought it my wife went in labour on the trip home so it means a lot to me :wink:

also i have a tatoo of the car on my right arm so i cant ever sell it lol :lol:
plumcrazee

Post by plumcrazee »

right todays update

new floor section on pasangers side

and the inner sill section

the last of the hole in the front inner arc, all the door post botom has been fabricated

just got the sills to fabricate and door curve to sort for the weekend
Lars S

Post by Lars S »

Nice handicraft!

What is the best coating to apply on the new surfaces so that it dont start rusting again?

/Lars S
-914/4 -72 daily driver
-Husqvarna 120cc -52
-Suzuki T500 Cobra -69
-Porsche 914/4 -72
-Suzuki K50 -77
plumcrazee

Post by plumcrazee »

i am using some seamsealer on the weld lines and overlaps and then por ready metal then por 15 chassis black witch is a us product we get from over here that i have used befor and am amased how good it is :lol:
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Lars S wrote:Nice handicraft!

What is the best coating to apply on the new surfaces so that it dont start rusting again?

/Lars S
Let them slightly re-rust on surface only. Then use a phosphoric acid converter like Ospho to convert the thin surface rust to iron phosphate...which will then not be capable of re-rusting. It is also a fabulous primer....and is in fact what the main ingredient in POR-15's prep is for their epoxy.

The more evenly you let the surface re-rust..the more even your coverage of the converted surface will be....and teh better the priming and the more rust free you will remain. Ray
Lars S

Post by Lars S »

Thanks Ray, sounds good to let the rust do the job.

(Like your picture! Whats next, "Apollo 11 for Dummies"?)

/Lars S
-914/4 -72 daily driver
-Husqvarna 120cc -52
-Suzuki T500 Cobra -69
-Porsche 914/4 -72
-Suzuki K50 -77
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

I stole the Apollo 11 haynes off the web somewhere. It was actually a bit larger. I thought it was cool! Ray
plumcrazee

Post by plumcrazee »

not been updated for a bit as thigs slowed down over the weekend but started again on monday night

seamsealed and painted the front with por15

the door post and sill and door curve and door seal lip been fabricated (not as vw intended but will be a good substitute lol)

pasanger foot well floor cut out

and welded up with a panel

the sill bottom has been welded ready for a new outer sill but that will be tomorrow night
plumcrazee

Post by plumcrazee »

ight lates update

i had the good company of mr graingermouse on thursday night as he was apparantly good at fabricating. and he is he created me 2 quality outer sills and drilled ready for spotwelding cheers mate

any way here is tghe pic only the one tho sorry

will try and do some more tomorrow/monday
plumcrazee

Post by plumcrazee »

right been a bit busy latley so havent been doing much but had a good night last night and today

rear outer arch cleand up and repaired and welded back in place had to use some old wing to get the profile the same lol

the rear suspension mount inner sill sectionfrom under the back wheel

and from the rear quarter

and from below

the new outer sill and rear quarter going in

plumcrazee

Post by plumcrazee »

had a good day today all the welding is finished this side thank god lol just some seam sealer and por 15 and some good under seal and we are away ready for some preping

the compleated rear quarter just got to be filled ready for paint

the rear suspention mount all finished

and the front rear inner arch and sil ends all finished

now the inner rear arch was tricky as i needed to make the lip the wing sits on so i used the old wing i took off as i have new ones going on

the rear inner arch an been welded up and the side tray removed to get to the repair

tray fitted back and repaired

and the rear inner arch all finished

day of tomorrow i think lol
plumcrazee

Post by plumcrazee »

ok lates update is just some painting pics

should be on the floor in the next day or so to turn her round and start thr other side lol oh the joys