What the... (fuel line ?)

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Khai

What the... (fuel line ?)

Post by Khai »

So my '66 Ghia was dripping fuel, and I traced the problem to the (rubber) fuel line where it goes from the chassis tunnel up to the bit that goes through the firewall. Looks like original hose, so I guess after 37 years, the rubber breaks down or something :wink:

Anyway I replaced the rubber hose, but noticed that right before the metal line goes through the firewall and into the engine compartment, it has an "L" bend in it - and that there was a bit of rubber hose at the "L" junction. At first I figured it was just a 1" bit of rubber hose to connect 2 metal lines, but when I pulled it off it was just rubber hose covering the "L".

What's it there for? I had a hell of a time getting it off, and an even worse time trying to get a new bit on - so I gave up and figured that the metal line was fine as it was. Should I go back and stick a little rubber hose over the "L" bend? What purpose does it serve? The only thing I could think of was to prevent the metal line from going too far though the firewall... (the hole is too small)
the_porch_honkey

Post by the_porch_honkey »

Could be there to prevent chaffing???
captCRUNCH

Post by captCRUNCH »

hey khai, do you cruise in a yellow ghia in and around the marpole (south vancouver) area?? just curious cause i've seen a pretty nice one around.
andy

Post by andy »

i replaced the whole length with aeroquip hose put a rubber grommet thro the firewall to stop chafing
Khai

Post by Khai »

captCRUNCH wrote:hey khai, do you cruise in a yellow ghia in and around the marpole (south vancouver) area?? just curious cause i've seen a pretty nice one around.
Yep, that would be me. '66 pastel yellow Ghia with a bike rack on top. 8) What's your ride? I must have seen you, but there are a whole lot of bugs & busses around here, and I have a hunch that the only Ghia I see regularly belongs to JC_Hamilton (it's flat black - if and when he gets that new paint job 'll know for sure!)

Next time you see me, honk!
Khai

Post by Khai »

I chafing around that hole a real problem? I don't see how that bit of rubber hose would have helped all that much - esp when compared to a plug or something, but I can't imagine what else it was for. Maybe I should wander down to Bow-Wow (local VW parts store) and see if they have a plug...

Thanks!
captCRUNCH

Post by captCRUNCH »

my bug is parked on ash street usually (behind the A&B sound) or on cambie street infront of napa. its a blue 72 and it just came out of the booth with a silver hood and silver flames on the doors and fenders. shes got polished empi 8's to boot.
Khai

Post by Khai »

That puts you right by Bow-Wow! Handy... I'll have to take a spin by sometime and see if I can spot your bug. She sounds like a beauty. :)