Questions on CV Joints

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
david58

Questions on CV Joints

Post by david58 »

I dis-assembled 3 type 1 CV axles this morning, all the inner races are the same on both sides, with NO raised edge. The first 2 pics are showing both sides of the assembled CV joint. Note the imprint of the washer.

Everything I found on CV joints shows a raised side on the inner race. But most of what I found was on prepping axles and CV joints for off road use. When I took these apart there was a washer on the axles inboard on the CV joints on all the axles. If you look at the pic below it shows the raised surface on the inner race. My question is for a street driven bug does the orientation on the inner race matter as I see no difference.

Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Marc

Re: Questions on CV Joints

Post by Marc »

Look at the inner splines - on one side they have a chamfer, on the other they don't. Chamfered side goes inboard on the axle, so the snapring is against the flat side.
The cage may also have a slight bevel on its I.D. on one side - if present, that too should face inboard.
david58

Re: Questions on CV Joints

Post by david58 »

Marc wrote:Look at the inner splines - on one side they have a chamfer, on the other they don't. Chamfered side goes inboard on the axle, so the snapring is against the flat side.
The cage may also have a slight bevel on its I.D. on one side - if present, that too should face inboard.
Thanks Marc for a real timely answer. The bevel is on the cage just like you said but it was hard to see, but it is there. The chamfer on the inner splines was easy to see, once I looked. I found by putting in only 2 of the balls that I could rotate either the cage or the inner race to get the orientation correct.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.