34pict4 leaking fuel . Please help

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
David Wan

Post by David Wan »

Hi

I have a solex 34pict-3 carby on my 1600dp engine.

I found out that the base of my fuel bowl is wet with gas.
I then discover that the bolt which holds the main jet in has a small amount of gas on it. So I unscrew it, and replaced with a nylon ( I have also try a metal )washer to try to fix the leak.

I have also make sure its not the fuel inlet on top of the fuel bowl.( this was dry)

Anyway, after replacing the gasket( washer), I start it up, its ok for about 30 mintues . But if I let it sit for 2 hours. The bottom of the fuel bowl is wet with gas again. I can still see some gas on the bolt.

Does anyone have any suggestions.?? I have spent a lot of money on the car ( superbug ) since I got it. I dont really want to get a new carby or a full rebuild at this moment, may be later.

I like to stop this fuel leak, as it seems a bit dangerous to me, or do most people just put up with this small leak.??

the bolt is 9mm diameter, I have use 10mm nylon and steel washer.I cannot find any 9mm ones. Could this be the problem.?

thanks in advance
David Wan
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

A fuel leak on a VW is asking for danger!! Due to the distributor being right below the carb, it would only take a few fumes/vapors to ignite.

It sounds to me like the float needle is worn or stuck,or the float itself is full of fuel, allowing fuel to overfill the bowl of the carburator. I'd remove the carb, remove the top of the carb off, remove the float and shake it. Does it have gas inside of it? Replace if yes, otherwise, inspect the float needle. If the needle is worn/round at the tip, there's your problem. The fix is in a "basic" rebuild kit; this should only set you back under 20 bucks. A small price to pay considering what could happen if you continue to let it leak. One last possibility is a mis-adjusted float; it has a "lip" that can be adjusted to close the float needle. The rebuild kit gives you this adjustment measurement
I'm sure I speak for all in saying we'd like to continue hearing from you again. Get the leak fixed, since you have a lot to lose if you don't!
David Wan

Post by David Wan »

Hi Bucko

Thanks for your reply.

The whole superbug looks very orginal.
so even though I have never pull apart a carb
before, I will have a go. I prefer things are
working right.

I really appreciate all the geniune help
the VW community give to newbies like me.

thanks again.
David Wan