Sunroof

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Ianvwbuggy72

Sunroof

Post by Ianvwbuggy72 »

I want a '73 superbeetle, just recently changed my mind on the year, with a sunroof.
These are the metal kind. I was wondering how they work. Do they slide back into the roof, or up? Also if I can't find one with a sunroof can I install an aftermarket sunroof like in the JC Whitney cataloge? And how easy is this? Thanks
Peace, Ian
bruce

Sunroof

Post by bruce »

Like many new VWs, the sunroof drops at the rear and slides in between the headliner and the roof.
You can install the aftermarket vinyl sunroof, but I wouldn't. IMO, this would greatly devalue your car. If I was shopping for a car and found it had one of those roofs, I wouldn't even stop and look at it. The best way to get a sunroof is to transplant an original one. It may cost a little more, but in the end your car is worth more, not less.
frwent

Sunroof

Post by frwent »

My 1966 has the type of sunroof you describe. I have removed it for restoration and it is fairly simple. The big problem is that the tray that holds the mechanism between the roof and the headliner is spot welded to the roof at the rear and both of these points have rusted through, something I am going to have to braze up to repair. I don't know how difficult it would be to install one of these in a car that didn't have it as a factory option. Also, there are a lot of expensive plastic parts that needed replacement in my sunroof, almost $100 for the guides, felt seals, other parts. The Bentley manual shows how these sunroofs are dismantled and serviced.
Ianvwsb73

Sunroof

Post by Ianvwsb73 »

Hey. When I said "like in the JC whitney cataloge" i meant that in this cataloge their is a hard top sunroof. It pops up. I will try to get a picture soon.

------------------
PEACE, LOVE, HAPPINESS, AND VWS!!!!!!!!!
bruce

Sunroof

Post by bruce »

Those cheap pop-up sunroofs are even worse. Again, if shopping for a Bug, I wouldn't even get out of my car, I'd keep on driving.
vwnate1

Sunroof

Post by vwnate1 »

Never , EVER waste your time & $ with a pop up or glass sunroof , they all leak like sieves . the stock sunroof install is a snap for a good body shop , the roof section costs about $50.00~$100.00 , for the higher price it should open and shut smoothly . if it's merely stuck , it's ofttimes possible to completely dissasemble clean out the grit and re-lube back to factory operation .
do NOT braze anything ! this always cracks and the brass contaminates the weld making it nearly impossible to repair correctly later .

------------------
-Nate
Filth & Greed Imports
(the LAST honest VWshop)
Ianvwsb73

Sunroof

Post by Ianvwsb73 »

What does braze mean?

------------------
Ianvwsb73

Sunroof

Post by Ianvwsb73 »

Hey. Where would I get a stock sunroof to install? A donor car?, or does somebody sell them? Thanks, Ian

------------------
Bobby74

Sunroof

Post by Bobby74 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ianvwsb73:
<B>Hey. Where would I get a stock sunroof to install? A donor car?, or does somebody sell them? Thanks, Ian

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would most definatly have to get it from a donor car... No offence, but most of our cars are close to 30 years old or more, and if they made a NEW replacement roof section, not only would Heaven not look as appealing but, Brazil would probably make it, and you wouldn't want it so heaven would be nice again. OEM is always best. German floor pans are thicker than brazilian floor pans, so I'd imagine the roofs would be thinner too. Call salvage yards NOT specializing in VW's you will always, almost always get a WAY lower price, if they don't know anything about it, they don't care how much they can get for it, and only the nice old guys will give you a good price, except for the ones that talk alot, they are usually salesman types.. I'm going through this right now, peicing together a '74 sunroof assembly some guys want $15 for the whole thing and one guy was like "'74s are the most rare I would want at least $200".

Good luck, ask around, then ask some more.

------------------
(2)74' SB's One custom, One stock SunBug (pride n' joy) Both bought for only $300
Wulfman

Sunroof

Post by Wulfman »

what if you had one of these cheap sunroofs installed already, could you weld in an older ragtop into it?
vwnate1

Sunroof

Post by vwnate1 »

Wulfman , yes you can always drop in a stock sun roof .
I have several sunroof sections for sale in So.Cal. , $75.00 each , one was working perfectly when cut off the other needs the plastic tracks , usually you need to completly disassemble / clean / lube a used sunroof before using . I cut these off at the window posts so your bodyman can attach wherever he likes to .
Brazing is a low heat typ of soldering , not a good idea but easy for the home hobbyist .
Just so you'll know , Rabbit sunroofs pre- 1975 use the same cables , guides and etc. as Beetles do - get those parts cheap @ Pick-A-Part .

------------------
-Nate
Filth & Greed Imports
(the LAST honest VWshop)
okalani

Sunroof

Post by okalani »

Hey Ian.. I just happened to buy a sunroof off of ebay. I don't really need the actual sunroof, just the parts... cables, channels etc... but I would be willing to sell it if you want it. And cheap since we have the same name. email me [email protected]