new mex 1600

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
veedawg

new mex 1600

Post by veedawg »

i found a new mexican made 1600 for around $1300 does anyone know where i can get one for cheaper? also i would like to read anyones opinion onthese motors. thank you
aussiebug

new mex 1600

Post by aussiebug »

A VW mechanic friend of mine (over 20 years experience) has fitted quite a few of these engines here in Australia - where they cost over $2000 :-( He says that they are good quality, and go well - no special problems.

regards,

Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by veedawg:
i found a new mexican made 1600 for around $1300 does anyone know where i can get one for cheaper? also i would like to read anyones opinion onthese motors. thank you<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Rob
Rob and Dave's aircooled VW pages
Repair and Maintenance for the home mechanic
http://www.geocities.com/aussiebug1970/index.html
TomB

new mex 1600

Post by TomB »

I have two of these in different cars. My daily driver uses a hydraulic lifter version. Strong, reliable, no oil consumption after 10,000 miles. Probably the best stock 1600 you can get. For normal driving the hydraulic version is great, and valves should last longer as they stay in adjustment for better cooling through proper contact with the seat. Plus the spin-on filter reduces wear. (Need to use a muffler which doesn't interfere with the filter. Most stock are OK.) Got mine through btlmex.com - good outfit.