Replacement Fenders

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Spooger2

Replacement Fenders

Post by Spooger2 »

I am looking to replace all 4 fenders on my 69' Bug. In Hot VWs Magazine there is a company called So.Cal Import Parts. Has anyone ever dealt with them and are they a good company to deal with?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

...Spooger
'69 Sunroof Beetle
Mike

Replacement Fenders

Post by Mike »

How can I put it nicely...... The So Cal ad should be perforated so you can use it for what it's worth when you're done reading in the bathroom.

Their parts are the cheapest quality hence the unbelievable prices. Their customer service sucks, their return policy is that you have to notify them and return within 24 hours - great when you can only work on your car on weekends....

They missed a part I ordered (a $6.00 backup light switch on a $220.00+ order) and then argued with me when I said it was missing. There are many others who will tell similar stories.

Try BFY, Wolfsburg West, Rocky Mountain Motorworks, The Real Source, Aircooled.net

So Cal has a bad rep.

------------------
Mike

Wilhelm(Willie) - 74 Super Beetle - Stock (Almost)
(Willie get there? - Willie get me back home?)

.. ___
. /___\
(0\_|_/0)
.U===U
JordanK

Replacement Fenders

Post by JordanK »

I second all of that. If you need a specialty part or something, they can be used, but for most things i'd pick someplace else. shipping to me in IN takes them like two weeks. They were tough to get on the phone to order, too. Look around, you can do better.

------------------
Jordan
1963 Beetle, 5 spokes, 1776, dropped spindles, etc...
1973 Standard Beetle, stock.
Thorkhild

Replacement Fenders

Post by Thorkhild »

i'v ordered from them a few times. They aren't perfect but....i order soem window seals for my Fasty and got square back seals!!!! and they did forget something n my order but i wasn't charged. their prices are cheap. My friend order a rebuilt front beam thats adjustable for his ghia... he was pretty happy. he also got a CW crank from them and it was machined wrong: one main was reground to a diff size. i think they are better than JC whitney .....

------------------
Thorkhild
1968 VW Blue Fastback
http://www.edinboro.edu/~e153916n/darkside_resto.htm
Mikes72sb

Replacement Fenders

Post by Mikes72sb »

If you want new fenders, do one of 3 things. (1)A reputable supplier (2)Re-work origional German metal (3)Go with Creative Car Craft fiberglass fenders. That's my own 2 cents.

------------------
\X/ Mike \X/
SuperBeetle71

Replacement Fenders

Post by SuperBeetle71 »

I recommend, if at all possible, to get original fenders and sand them, remove rust, then paint and apply undercoating to the underside. These original fenders are of thick quality metal and fit your car perfectly. Be aware that new fenders will not come out of the box ready to bolt on. You will have to spend a considerable amount of time bending and fitting them to attach properly.

[This message has been edited by SuperBeetle71 (edited 04-24-2001).]
Tarnx

Replacement Fenders

Post by Tarnx »

I have tried to order from So Cal and I am stunned by the additional charges. I was going to order as set of front disk brakes and the core charge, box charge, and shipping came to $180 on a $450 order. I went with some one else.
My VW guru says stay with the stock sheet metal if at all possible. Go to swap meets and junk yards. BYF obsolete parts can get used original parts. They will probably be higher than repops. Alot of the repops don't fit right. The holes are in the wrong places or are too long. Stock metal is thicker and it is softer and can be reworked quite well.
The crud in my gas tank was clogging my fuel line so I ordered the cheapest tank I could find. Made in Brazil in the original dies with thinner sheet metal, it has many stretch marks and is visibly thinner than the original tank. By accident my suppiler also ordered a tank from Rocky Mountain Motorsports. It looks just like the original, same thickness and every thing. I had already decided to keep my old tank by this time. I took it down to the local raditor shop to have it boiled out and coated inside. RMMS also suggests doing this with a new tank as it is shipped with a perservative finish on the inside. The raditor shop suggested to not boil the tank as it could possibly reveal a herd of pinholes in the metal due to the age. Anyway they cleaned it out good and coated the inside, then I took it home to strip the outside and repaint it. It was in a lot worse shape than I imagened so I didn't sand the rust too hard. I was glad I followed their suggestion.
I am going to try RMMS for front fenders if I can't get a pair of good used ones. Always buy fenders in pairs if they are repops as different suppliers have different tolerances.
This is what I have experienced I hope it helps.