Single port carb upgrade

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
ddonicht

Single port carb upgrade

Post by ddonicht »

I'm trying to get various opinions on this before I do anything. I currently have a 1600 single port in my beetle. It is using the stock carb but it does have a header w/dual QP, 009 w/ignitor, and flame thrower coil. I have no plans to upgrade this engine to a dual port...I have another than I'm going to rebuild that already is.
So what would be the best way to upgrade? I've heard the finding a pair of the old dual solex's would work great. Or if those are hard to come by, a pair of Weber 34 ICT's. A mechanic did say a pair of Dual Kadron (or Weber equivelant) would be wasted because it is a single port. Opinions? Ideas? TIA
vwnate1

Single port carb upgrade

Post by vwnate1 »

The fastest / cheapest way is to swap the main jet for a #130 , you'll like the power increase .

------------------
-Nate
Filth & Greed Imports
(the LAST honest VWshop)
vicsvw

Single port carb upgrade

Post by vicsvw »

Forget the T3 carbs as they are the pits. The Single Port heads will do great with a set of small carbs. I would sugest the Solex ICBE's or the Weber ICT ( the weber and the Dellortos will not have chokes) The Solex Kadron's are to large for the S.P. Heads. P.S. Get a new mechanic. http://www.vwhelp.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ddonicht:
<B>I'm trying to get various opinions on this before I do anything. I currently have a 1600 single port in my beetle. It is using the stock carb but it does have a header w/dual QP, 009 w/ignitor, and flame thrower coil. I have no plans to upgrade this engine to a dual port...I have another than I'm going to rebuild that already is.
So what would be the best way to upgrade? I've heard the finding a pair of the old dual solex's would work great. Or if those are hard to come by, a pair of Weber 34 ICT's. A mechanic did say a pair of Dual Kadron (or Weber equivelant) would be wasted because it is a single port. Opinions? Ideas? TIA</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
aussiebug

Single port carb upgrade

Post by aussiebug »

By "stock carb" I assume you mean 30PICT/3, which is what the 1970 B series 1600sp engine in the US came with?

This carby originally came with a very small 112 main jet - the car ran quite lean.

Another poster said "use a 130 main jet", and if you have a Bosch 009 distributor then he's probably right, since these distributors NEED extra fuel to replace the missing vaccuum advance distributor the car should be using. If you have an flat spots on acceleration - a larger jet will help, plus setting the accelerator pump to max squirt, and making sure that squirt goes straight down the throat past the opening throttle valve - not splashing on anything on the way). Usa as much advance as the 009 can allow without the engine pinging (30-32 rather than 28-30 at 3000rpm).

OR - you can just get a vacuum distributor for it and throw out the 009. You'll be surprised at the engine response, and the vacuum distributor are more fuel efficient too, as they allow up to 40+ degree or advance under the right conditions (since they can sense throttle position/engine load) where the 009 has to be limited to "worst case" of about 30 degrees max advance.

Talk to John at www.aircooled.net about carbies and distributors - he's written several recent articles for VW TRends on the topic.

You can use a 125 or 127.5 main jet with the vacuum distributors. Since you have headers on your car, the 127.5 might be better, headers tend to make the engine run a fraction leaner (higher airflow through the carby).

And another thing not appreciated by owners using the 009 - since you HAVE to run it extra rich to stop the flat spots, the engine suffers a lot more oil wash-down, and engine wear increases appreciably, meaning an expensive rebuild will happen sooner, rather than later.

Putting twin carbs on won't make much difference, you still have the built in air-flow limitations of the single port heads (I'm not knocking them - mine's an sp engine too).

Rob

>I'm trying to get various opinions on this before I do anything. I currently have a 1600 single port in my beetle. It is using the stock carb but it does have a header w/dual QP, 009 w/ignitor, and flame thrower coil. I have no plans to upgrade this engine to a dual port...I have another than I'm going to rebuild that already is.
So what would be the best way to upgrade? I've heard the finding a pair of the old dual solex's would work great. Or if those are hard to come by, a pair of Weber 34 ICT's. A mechanic did say a pair of Dual Kadron (or Weber equivelant) would be wasted because it is a single port. Opinions? Ideas? TIA
Steve Stromberg REG NCD

Single port carb upgrade

Post by Steve Stromberg REG NCD »

I ran a Zeinth 32 NXID center mount on my 1600 sp with Truehauft muffler one outlet, 009 timed at 30, Big Improvement in power, melted hills like they were bumps. Drawback was fuel use, went from 25mpg to 20mpg,yes I jetted it properly.I just was giving the foot to the floor using the extra power.I now run a 30 pict covt. to -1, same Dizzy,ect, I now get 33 mpg at 65, less power but still more than stock and better mileage. Steve www.914underground.com