very dumb question

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
beeown

very dumb question

Post by beeown »

What is the proper way to change the oil in the oil bath filter. How much do you put back in and what kind of oil do you use. I know it is a dumb question.
Pete S

very dumb question

Post by Pete S »

Not a dumb question!
Dump out old oil. Clean out housing with carb cleaner. Wipe dry and fill with whatever oil you're using in your motor (10W40, 20W50, etc.,...). Some housings have a red fill stripe inside, some don't. Anyway, fill oil to just below crease. Maybe 1/4" total

Pete S
JordanK

very dumb question

Post by JordanK »

All you gotta do is take the can part off, dispose of the oil, ( don't let the EPA catch you) Image and refill w/ whatever engine oil you use. i think there is a line inside to show where to fill it too, if not fill it about halfway, maybe a little less. Before you put fresh oil in though i would wipe all the crud and junk out of it, maybe clean it w/ a little gas or something.
Later,
Jordan
SuperBeetle71

very dumb question

Post by SuperBeetle71 »

Don't dump your oil, recycle it. It doesn't take any time and saves so much pollution.

A cool tip: Now you know what to do with that bit of oil left in the bottle after an oil change... You should do the air cleaner every other oil change unless you live in a dusty area, then everytime. Anyway, instead of cracking open a new bottle of oil, just use the leftovers from your oil changes...

Later,
Cody
'71 Superbeetle
[email protected]

very dumb question

Post by [email protected] »

Who is the dork that suggested dumping oil in our water supply? THERE IS NO 'AWAY'! It keeps going, until it hits the water table.

(calming down a bit....)

A K&N filter, shielded from the elements is a really good way to make your engine 'continue' performing well. Dirt getting past old style air cleaners are a source of bad valves and worn rings. They do not ADD performance. Keep it for shows, however!

Keep the PCV system working!

Avid