New, need some advice

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
jmcmahon24

New, need some advice

Post by jmcmahon24 »

I'm New to air cooled vw got a 73 bug, needs some help but in the end want to build a Baja look a like. I have a nice set of fenders front and rear, what are these worth? Along with an extra steering wheel.
Marc

Re: New, need some advice

Post by Marc »

I hope it's a Standard, Supers are a poor basis for a Baja.
Rear fenders are `73 ONLY, although they'll bolt up to earlier Standards and Supers if the large taillights are retained. Bumper bracket slots are correct for `67-`73.

Standard fronts are the same from `70-`73; again they'll bolt up to earlier Standards if the large turn signals are used (smaller t'signal assemblies will expose mounting holes) and the bumper slots are correct for `68-`73

`73 Super fronts fit `71-`73 Super...only.

Impact-absorbing bumpers debuted in `74; `73 fenders can be modified for use on later cars by altering the bumper bracket openings, or custom bumper brackets can be fabricated to eliminate the impact shocks.

`73 was a "split" year for steering wheels. Early ones used the same wheel as a `72 with larger splines for the shaft, late ones have the smaller, Rabbit-sized, splines and use the `74-up wheel.

A good place to see what the going asking price for VW parts is theSamba.com - usually sellers provide pictures that can be helpful in comparing the condition of your stuff. Note that parts may not end up actually selling at those prices, but they're a data point. Don't let the `73 rears go too cheaply since they're one-year-only. NEW reproduction fenders typically sell for ~$150 each, and a nice OEM German one is better-than-new in most folks' opinion - but $150 a pair is probably all you'll get unless you sit on them waiting for just the right buyer. The fronts aren't as rare but have around the same value since more Bugs suffer front-end damage than rear ;)
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Also, in your user profile ones location is very important if you expect to ship/receive fenders
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
jmcmahon24

Post by jmcmahon24 »

Thank you, and sideshow I literally made this account a few hours ago, so working everything out still. It is a standard 73 and it say the fenders are in good condition with minor surface rust in a few spots. I will check the other site and see what I find thank you.