Rear Wheels Leaning In

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
MG wanna B

Rear Wheels Leaning In

Post by MG wanna B »

I noticed that my rear wheels are leaning in a little, the driver's side leans a little more than the passenger's side.

would this be a bearing issue?
Steve Arndt

Re: Rear Wheels Leaning In

Post by Steve Arndt »

It is usually spring plate bushings.

We have a customer with an MG kit car like yours. His kit car fiberglass body completely blocks access tor the torsion tube cover area. Not fun.
MG wanna B

Post by MG wanna B »

mine has a custom tube frame, but doesn't have the rear disc brakes. it appears to be the stock vw drum set up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Is the car at the same height on each side, but just leaning in?
If a bearing is bad enough to lean that is easy to test for. Jack it up and grab the tire at 12 and 6 and push/pull. Any excessive movement is bad. Same test at 3/9. There should just be a teeny amount of play. A bearing bad enough to make the hub move and lean will really tear things up quick.
MG wanna B

Post by MG wanna B »

the car sits level from side to side, but has a little rear end sag, and, the wheels leaning in.

I have the wheels off, right now, replacing the shocks, another great adventure.

I also need to add that it has wheel adapters on it to fit 5 lug wheels, so, I figure that they don't help either, so, i'll stick them back on while waiting for the shock to come, and, check them.

I don't see any type of camber adjustment, due to the hub, as I call it, being welded to the swing arm.

thanks
Marc

Post by Marc »

If the control arm is welded to the bearing-housing section, there's not much you can do without bending parts. All the more reason to check the bearings for slop as Steve suggested, since replacing the housing would be a little ambitious (compared to just bolting in another arm as you would with the stock layout).
Frankly your negative camber doesn't look too extreme, and some is beneficial for cornering (it's a bit of a compromise with tire tread wear)...going by the pic in your first thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=146371
Stock IRS rear camber is around 1½° negative....max difference between sides should be within ½°.
Wouldn't surprise me if yours started out life straight-up and has just sagged to its present state, exacerbated by the wheel offset/adapters increasing the leverage applied to it.
MG wanna B

Post by MG wanna B »

right, that's what I'm hoping for. i'll know more later this evening, when I stick the wheels back on to see about the bearings, as it does appear to me that the axle isn't going through the housing at the right angle.