Guide for cutting up sheetmetal

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Ravewolf

Guide for cutting up sheetmetal

Post by Ravewolf »

Is there a clear cut guide to cutting up sheetmetal to mount a one piece front end? I have a 67 I'm going baja with,and I don't want to chop up too much stuff and ruin it. It's my first bug,so it's a learning experience. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Marc

Re: Guide for cutting up sheetmetal

Post by Marc »

Were you hoping to retain inner fenderwells and/or some semblance of "rainproofing" for the dash & wiring, or is this to be a sunny-day toy only? What do you plan to use for a fuel tank?
Stock bumpers only mount to the sheetmetal, so if you'll be needing to retain bumpers for legal reasons you'll have to build some brackets off of the framehead and/or beam. If going to the beam I'd encourage making them somewhat flimsy so that a mild impact won't bend it.
Ravewolf

Post by Ravewolf »

Well,I want to drive it in the winter (I'm living in Colorado atm),but I like the open look of some of the major bajas on here. I want to also run the roll cage throughout the body,so that I can have a little fun and jump it. And for strength,since I want to build a turbo mitsu motor for it. Which brings me to another question: has anyone ever seen/heard of an adapter plate made to mount a subaru trans to a mitsubishi 4g63? Am I asking too much? Am I going to get a visit from some men in black attire?
david58

Post by david58 »

Every build is different, with that said you build the car one step at a time. Make your cuts and if you cut too much add some metal the the mishaps.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Cut off absolutely as little as required.

You can always cut more off.

Adding it back is a LOT more work.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.