Step by Step Clutch Master & slave replace & bleeder Help

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
makoto333

Step by Step Clutch Master & slave replace & bleeder Help

Post by makoto333 »

On my quest for Van-a-do. After my mom passed, finally found a project that occupied my creative side and threw myself into an 81 vanagon camper w/ 85k on it - redoing the whole interior, etc.
Things seemed fairly sound, mechanically until I got a clutch leak at the pedals.
1) Bought and installed a master cylinder.
Think I did ok.
Play at pedal seemed ok, and no leaks at that point.

2) Went to bleed clutch at slave. Bleeder valve snapped off. Bought a new slave cylinder. Couldn't get the bolt off the old slave (it was rounded). Bought a new line at Auto zone - steel brake line with the same lip and a 10mm bolt that threaded perfectly into the new slave cylinder I got from Hans Auto.

3) Got that installed. No leaks. Everything seemed ok.

4) Clutch goes all the way to the floor. Figured there was air in the system now. Never bled clutch before (let alone any of this other stuff).

So, here are my questions.
In bleeding, did the following.
1) Pushed & held petal to floor.
2) Hooked up vacuum pump bleeder to bleeder valve, cranked it open a little and got some fluid out (looks old).

Questions -
1) Do I then close bleeder valve, release pedal, depress pedal, open valve and repeat vacuum procedure until I get play in pedal?
2) Is there any chance - given that I don't see any leaks, and that I still had play after installing the Master Cylinder that I did something wrong there (like that I need to go back, remove MC, and adjust pushrod or something).
3) Any chance I did something wrong with Slave cylinder that is effecting pedal performance (again, pushrod, or maybe something else)?
4) With the old line (which was cruddy, rusted and solid), this new line turns freely within the bolt, yet there is no leaking. It did not come with gaskets or rubber or anything that would make me think that anything else was necessary, or that anything would make it less than airtight (especially since I've cranked the engine and don't see any drips out of the slave). Any chance of a problem there.
or
5) Lastly, could this just be that I've never bled a clutch, that I need to repeat this process ad nauseum until I get the air out of the line, and my clutch play will return to me?

Thanks, all! I appreciate your help!