VW mid engine Trike frame?

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
EastCoastOffRoad

Re: VW mid engine Trike frame?

Post by EastCoastOffRoad »

david58 wrote:Build it yourself. All you need is a steering head with the forks and tire and some tubing a bender and a notch-er.
Here in NS, Canada I need a vin# to get it registered, licensed, and insured. I have no idea if I can build a frame and then get a vin# for it?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I am not sure how things work in Canada but I sure would start your project by contacting the RCMP and finding out for sure what can and can’t be done and what, if anything, will be needed. Here in the States the persnickety states require a title w/VIN anda matching housing w/VIN as well as receipts for everything you buy. I would also make an album w/the receipts including pictures.

One way out of the mess would be something like this: http://www.pacificcustoms.com/AC530036.html (this is not the only place that sells them) then get the rest of the parts to finish it off. That (may) somewhat will get you past the VIN number thing and it will work for either swing or IRS.

It wouldn’t surprise me that the neck needed for steering could be purchased the same way.

Lee
david58

Post by david58 »

EastCoastOffRoad wrote:I have started to get old vw parts in hope to build a VW mid engine Trike frame. Looking to build something like on the badass trike web site.
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I need a vin number to be able to drive it on the road. I was thinking of using a bike frame and moding it to work, but I would also need to get it inspected to be able to drive it on the road.

Anyone have any ideas?
What website is this one on?
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
EastCoastOffRoad

david58 wrote:
EastCoastOffRoad wrote:I have started to get old vw parts in hope to build a VW mid engine Trike frame. Looking to build something like on the badass trike web site.
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I need a vin number to be able to drive it on the road. I was thinking of using a bike frame and moding it to work, but I would also need to get it inspected to be able to drive it on the road.

Anyone have any ideas?
What website is this one on?
Bad Ass Trikes
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

helowrench wrote: Pile, the more appropriate 2F1R trike for us on this form would be the Blackjack zero.
I want one of them.
(I am on the tablet, so no link for you)

That's what I was trying to think of, thanks!

Going to the show in Carrollton next Sunday?
(I have to work Sun PM, but thinking about making it a 2X 5 hour energy day)
I think Supas going to be there with his notch, he put me onto it.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Sounds promising. I will look into it.
Do you have a link to the event?
david58

Post by david58 »

The Bad Ass Trike site is just too kool, prices are reasonable too. The weight distribution is right on IMOP. Rear engine VW trikes are way to light in the front end.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
EastCoastOffRoad

david58 wrote:The Bad Ass Trike site is just too kool, prices are reasonable too. The weight distribution is right on IMOP. Rear engine VW trikes are way to light in the front end.
Yeah really cool looking trikes. If only I could find someone with plans that will give me a copy or find a free set somewhere on the net.
Last edited by EastCoastOffRoad on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1286804

If you were still interested in going to the double jointed IRs, I saw these for sale. It is interesting to read what easily found components are needed to complete this change over. You would still have to move the spring mounting but this is another option to consider.

Lee
EastCoastOffRoad

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1286804

If you were still interested in going to the double jointed IRs, I saw these for sale. It is interesting to read what easily found components are needed to complete this change over. You would still have to move the spring mounting but this is another option to consider.

Lee
Thanks but I found a swing arm rear end
marcie10

Post by marcie10 »

I also want to build a mid engine trike. The problem is the owner of "Bad Ass Trikes" is MIA. He wont return requests for information or sell the parts he offers. Purusing the posts on the site's forum reveals that he has been "away" for many months. I am trying to find information about the "spacer" transaxle (poor man's torque tube), adaptor plate and jackshaft he uses to get the engine pushed farther forward. I have no concerns building the frame. I have been a metal fabricator/welder for over 32 years and have recently built a rear engine VW trike for a friend.
I have a t4 engine getting freshened up with new bearings and my engine builder is fixing me up with a 914 transaxle. I have a bad t1 swing transaxle that I will gut to use as the spacer.
I am hoping someone can help me out with either a copy of the BAT build manual or good drawings of the adaptor plate and the jackshaft. i am more than willing to pay for this info.

Thanks!
marcie10
marcie10

Post by marcie10 »

The owner of BAT finally contacted me tonight. Seems he is working out of town now due to the trike business being so slow. I purchased one of the last few build manuals he still has available.

Marcie
aussiebug

Post by aussiebug »

I'm Curious, why the tandem gearbox? Just to get the engine forward? Or something to do with reversing the direction of drive, due to the mid engine? If it's that, the swing axle gearboxes can have the crown wheel mounted on the other side of the box to reverse the direction of wheel spin to suit the mid engine - only one box required. Formula VW race cars have been doing that for years.

Back in the 60s, a few BMW opposed twin motorbikes had their engines replaced by (1200) bug engines. I never got to ride one, but they looked heavy compared to the BMW engine. Your trike layout looks front heavy too - it will NEED those twin discs up front.
Regards
Rob
Rob and Dave's aircooled VW pages
Repairs and Maintenance for the home mechanic
www.vw-resource.com
marcie10

Post by marcie10 »

The "spacer" transaxle is to move the engine forward, and it allows the driver to sit lower, with the engine in front of the driver. There are builders in Sweden that have building these trikes that way for years, however, the info they offer is pretty basic, do a search on "swedish trike". I saw on another forum that the swedes supposedly copied the design from builders in Califonina from the 60's. Swapping the crown wheel to the other side is done in the rear swingaxle to reverse the rotation no matter if you use the spacer transaxle or not. I plan on using a 914 transaxle that my local VW guru is going to supply me, and will build my own hub uprights and wishbones for a clean look. Although, I might go with a swingaxle if the 914 setup proves to be unaffordable.

Marcie
marcie10

Post by marcie10 »

So...I'm going to dredge up an old thread to give a progress on my mid-engine trike project. It's all finished except for the paint. which means I have to tear the thing apart to the bare frame, and then putting it back together. However at this point it is a fully functional, drivable, LEGAL, fun machine. I used a type4 from a 914 with a 2 barrel progressive weber and a 914 side shifter for the transaxle. I built the frame, a arms, gauge pod, oil cooler cover, and the shifter box. The pics really don't do it justice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.