Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your Ride

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Lifeguard

Introduce myself

Post by Lifeguard »

bugman742002 asked me to introduce myself and tell about why I am here so here goes. I am not really new to VW's my first car was a 65 square back sedan and my best friend had at least 4 VW's and an old 356 while I was still living at home. My older brother also had two VW's and his 70 model had been "spiced up" a bit and I really loved driving his car. My best story was in my 65. I was driving back from somewhere and the accelerator cable broke. I ended up calling my dad and he and my brother drove to meet me. we did not have a way to fix the cable on the side of the road so we ended up driving about 40 miles with me behind the wheel and my brother sitting over the engine with the cover off and the hatch open while operating the carb linkage by hand. He would bring up the RPM's and I would shout "SHIFT" he would back off and I would shift and then he would build RPM's again.

My wife always wanted a bug and so this year when I found what I thought was a good deal for a running 69 I bought it for $2K. I have concluded since that it is most likely original milage as all the engine components seem correct from the H5 case to the SP heads and original solex 30.

It was clear very early that it was running hot (could not touch the dipstick after 8 miles driving or even 4-5 minutes idleing) so I pulled the engine and pulled it down. The whole engine (tin, jugs, oil cooler, etc) was covered with a film of oil mist and dirt caused by the cheap aftermarket oil filter, the cooling flaps & thermostat were gone and all the tin needed fresh paint. I started researching and soon found that I needed to change lots of things including the original H5 case. However the case is in incredibly good shape even for it's manufacturing failures. I had some head stud's pulling and there is about .010 ridge on the #2 Main journal and less on #1,3. The thrust was in spec too. After looking at the cam and crank I think I can safely say that the 69000 on the odometer are probably the original miles.

I have lots to do on the engine and then on the boday but I am pretty excited about the project. I have an AE case on it's way, got some good used dog house tin and a new cooler, found some NOS COFAP 85.5 pistons and cylinders to replace the 83's. Picked up a nice set of rebuilt DP heads with a newly pro built steering box and two new headlight buckets with trim rings and an old 69 crank with flywheel and rods for $150 off craigslist. I want to boost perfromance some (75-100 hp range) and keep it all as stock and reliable as possible in the process.

I am sure I will have lots of questions and really appreciate the site. Thanks to everyone for making the site possible.
t4vwbugster

Post by t4vwbugster »

Hi everyone.

I'm also new here, been lurking and reading a lot and I must say there is a LOT of info here. I REALLY liked the turbo threads by scot the viking.

My current project is a twin turbo (maybe) type 4 drag buggy.I do know some members here from another public forum, so I'm not new to forums in general.

I think there's a looong road ahead for me with my project and a lot of nagging coming your way. :D

Mario
Coot350z

Intro

Post by Coot350z »

Aye, This is Coot. I currently own a 1973 Super Beetle, it was my first car I still have it. My dad went with his dad to pick the car up brand new back in 73. Engine was rebuilt at 117xxx. Took quite a while since when I first received the car when I was 13 and had no job or money to buy parts and what not, finally rebuilt and put back into the car when i turned 16. The seats have been reupholstered and currently working on repainting.
Last edited by Coot350z on Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
FREDDIE53

thanks for you guys

Post by FREDDIE53 »

Hello i am Freddie53 i just bought a 1969 vw bug i dont know much but i want to, i know i will ask a lot of dumb things but i need to know ,so far you guys have been great and i will lean on you guys alot thanks for everthing thanks freddie53
ainokea

Post by ainokea »

Aloha mai kakou Kenny2428, I am Ainokea originaly from Hilo, living and working in Honolulu. I'm 70 and have been a VW mechanic for more than 40 years. I'm not a tech as we're called today, I'm still a mechanic. At any length, I signed up here to learn anything and everything I can from
the folks that frequent this site.
After 20 years of driving watercooled VW's, I got very weary of all the OBDII garbage, got rid of my GTI and bought a 73, 113. I built a mild 1955cc, 76 x 90.5, Weber engine, installed it, and have enjoyed the simplicity of aircooled efficiency for the last year.
I will be picking brains, looking for knowlege and ideas.
Ainokea
Geardo

Hi new member with a Ghia

Post by Geardo »

Hello everyone, I'm a new member with a 1971 Karmann Ghia project car, I bought as a basket case. Since it's my 1st VW, I will be asking questions. I'm located in Lafayette,LA
david58

Post by david58 »

Welcome to the STF Geardo.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
silverwood 56

new here with 73 super

Post by silverwood 56 »

Hi all here on this vw site, I am not new to vws have had 15 or so over the years but have just got back into them recently , past year or so , :D am really glad to have found you guys with all this information. years ago we had to go to the library or your vw dealer for information, I like this way much beter.[img][img]http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo12 ... 300107.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by silverwood 56 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david58

Post by david58 »

Welcome aboard let's see your ride. :wink:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
silverwood 56

Post by silverwood 56 »

haven't figured how to post pictures yet pete
Geardo

Post by Geardo »

A picture of my 71 project car

chevychopper

Post by chevychopper »

Hi from Delaware. Going to stray from my usual hotrod/chopper building ways and have a little fun with a vw. Picked up a small farm of bugs recently, most notably a 73 standard ready for paint. Before i head off to the squirt booth, i want to do a few things..drop, different tail lights, dash, etc. Found this site to be most informative. Looking forward to talking to a few of the members about ideas/solutions.

thanks,
JT
david58

Post by david58 »

chevychopper Welcome to the STF. Lets see same before and after pics. :wink:
chevychopper

Post by chevychopper »

Will do. i'm considering doing a drop asap as the car sits stock but i have to do some looking to see what i'm starting with and potentially what's the best route to take.
lilredbuggy

Smryna?

Post by lilredbuggy »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey JT.....
Sounds like a dream for me...what all did you find growing on the farm???
[/quote]