Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your Ride

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Kenny2428

Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your Ride

Post by Kenny2428 »

First off, I'd like to welcome all of the newcomers to the VW community (slang termed "newbies") at ShopTalkFourms.

My name is Kenny, your new co moderator for the "newbie forum". I've been registered with ShopTalkForums ("STF") for 5 years. I joined, knowing absolutely nothing about VWs. Over the course of a few years I learned a lot - and still have alot to learn!

Over the next few months, we'll be putting together a few "stickies" to help you become a successful, confident and safe VW driver.

REQUEST- When you find something interesting and/or helpful... please let us know. We're looking to create solutions to common problems and a listing of the best of the best resources.

This is your forum. Please, don't hesitate to ask any question. Remember, no question is a stupid question.

We ask that everyone to follow a few simple guidelines:
  • No Swearing - Absolutely no swearing...

BANNED reply - "use the search key" = Instant Delete- if someone ask a question, and someone
    else replys "use the search key" it will be deleted without a PM

Single Topic Threads - One of our goals is to create a library of searchable content. To do this, we request that threads become single topic. No thread hijacking-just start another thread

Keep it Positive and Friendly- this isn't a rant forum!

Opinions are Acceptable - please back it up with the facts and disclose it as an opinion.
We're here to help.
Last edited by Kenny2428 on Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Hello & Welcome.

I'm excited you found ShopTalkForums. I'm totally into VW newcomers.

I remember what it was like when driving my first VW home. It had a funky sound... people were swerving all over the road to look back at my unusual car.. it ran horrid.. then OOOPS. My macho men friends were laughing at it, my mechanic had no clue about where to start and quickly learned that zillions of things were different on our bug compared to the manual. I was stumped and stuck.

Hours were spent trying to learn the basics. Wasted hours net surfing trying to figure out exactly what was wrong. I'd ask questions like "what's the funky cannister thingbop on the round metal thing with plastic on top going to the spark plugs." Instead of ignoring my post, about 1/3 of people would reply "buy a book and use the search key." Time was wasted at the wrong forum and internet sites.

Before owning VWs, I had motorcycles and hotrods that were all totally road worthy -- not projects. I didn't have any real friends into cars. I was out there on my own.

THEN one magical day, I ran into a guy named SPEEDY JIM. I didn't know it, Speedy's an "Aircooled" legend. He sent a warm note with a suggested reading list. I was then directed to this ShopTalkForums for newbies and his site for electrical.

I quickly learned some of the cool facts about aircooled (what we call classic vw engines)
  • -They can be insured for about $30 per year
    -Nothing tows easier than a VW
    -VWs are the most economical
    -They're great investments
    -You can modify just about anything you like on them (speed, longevity, durability, racing)
    -Complete brake systems take an evening and cost about $150
    -There were a 21,500,000 (yes 21-1/2 million) made ceasing production in 2004
    -Complete power trains can be swapped in an afternoon with $50 worth of tools
    -Hitler and Porsche engineered the car so you can afford it and fix it.
    -1/10 the cars in Brazil are White Transporter Vans (or T2).. Much of Latin America still runs on Bugs.
    -You can store 4 VWs in a 2 car garage
    -Aircooled folks are the coolest in the car world
Since meeting Speedy and STF, I've owned countless Dubs (slang for VW). Your benefit from this is I've made just about every possible blunder and wasted tons of money going the wrong directions. It’s my commitment that you don't have to repeat my proven mistakes.

We're truely blessed that Doc (STF Owner) self-funds this forum for you. AdminSteve ensures the technical internet wheels keep turning. A team of moderators keep it on track. The members create the content. This is all done to insure you’re successful.

Please let me know how I can serve you.

Tim

P.S. Please make the commitment to post often and make STF your VW and Internet home.
vwpride73

Re: New to VWs-Welcome to the Newbie Forum!

Post by vwpride73 »

Kenny2428 wrote:First off, I'd like to welcome all of the newcomers to the VW community (slang termed "newbies") at ShopTalkFourms.

My name is Kenny, your new co moderator for the "newbie forum". I've been registered with ShopTalkForums ("STF") for 5 years. I joined, knowing absolutely nothing about VWs. Over the course of a few years I learned a lot - and still have alot to learn!

Over the next few months, we'll be putting together a few "stickies" to help you become a successful, confident and safe VW driver.
Oh no kenny's a mod. :shock:
Kenny2428

Post by Kenny2428 »

vwpride73 wrote:
Kenny2428 wrote:First off, I'd like to welcome all of the newcomers to the VW community (slang termed "newbies") at ShopTalkFourms.

Oh no kenny's a mod. :shock:
Lol, havent seen you post on here in ages! :wink:
vwpride73

Post by vwpride73 »

Kenny2428 wrote:...Lol, havent seen you post on here in ages! :wink:
in the market :twisted:
BeetleBug70

Post by BeetleBug70 »

Hi, I'm new to the site.

I bought my 1970 Beetle about two & a half years ago. Since then she has sat in the shed for a few months. I have had it painted & to a mechanic, who really didn't have any idea but did put her back together.

I registered her about a month ago & realised as I'm driving down the road that I didn't know what most of the switches & lever's were inside. Some 'things' are missing, I don't know what, lol. My aim is to find out.

I have bought window winders, which makes it easier to wind the windows up & down. A petrol cap is on its way from ebay. (Someone sold one to me but it wasn't original & petrol leaked down the guard, so I have a rag stuffed in there to stop that).

I bought this Bug mainly for my children, they are Bug mad & use to scream Vdub when they saw one, making me jump out of my skin. I must admit though, I have grown very attached to her.

I will have some pretty basic questions to ask & no I don't have a manual because I'm not sure which one to get. It's on my todo list. I have had some help off the guy that trucked her to me as he is a VW enthusist, though I don't want to annoy him all the time.

Well I'm going to have a look at the rest of the site & read up abit.
:D
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

BB70,

Welcome to STF! :D I know you will find help here. Enjoy the forums.

doc
BeetleBug70

Post by BeetleBug70 »

Doc: Thank you.

I have been reading non-stop since I registered, lol. It's all swimming around in my head. I'll be chatting up a storm in my sleep tonight. :wink:
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Keep reading. There are over 750,000 posts over the last 6 years! (OK, some posts are better than others!).

Isn't it the middle of the night in Aussie land?

doc
BeetleBug70

Post by BeetleBug70 »

Yes it is, lol. It's just after 12.30am. I've been trying to go to bed for the past hour but I keep finding things that interest me. :roll:

I'll be back in the morning for sure. I haven't got out of the Newbie section yet, lol.

Goodnight. :wink:
Kenny2428

Post by Kenny2428 »

Welcome! Glad to have you with us!
BeetleBug70

Post by BeetleBug70 »

Thank you Kenny.

Once I figure out the perks & quirks of the forum I won't be such a pain. So please excuse any 'dumb' questions I may ask.

I know that sometime's what I read doesn't compute, it takes awhile to sink in, lol, or I save it till later to read, when really I should read it cos the answer is in there.
Kenny2428

Post by Kenny2428 »

BeetleBug70 wrote:Thank you Kenny.

Once I figure out the perks & quirks of the forum I won't be such a pain. So please excuse any 'dumb' questions I may ask.

I know that sometime's what I read doesn't compute, it takes awhile to sink in, lol, or I save it till later to read, when really I should read it cos the answer is in there.
Feel free to ask as many questions you may have. No question is a stupid question! :wink:
BeetleBug70

Post by BeetleBug70 »

I haven't as yet been able to buy a manual for my Beetle. I'm really curious as to what the two levers are either side of the handbrake. Am I right in thinking they have something to do with a heater?

I think someone at some stage has modified this car as there is a hole where a key would've gone on the steering column, but the key actually goes nearly under the glove box.

I have two push button's under the dash on the right hand side that I have got no idea about.

I will take a picture of the dash tomorrow & post it cos there are also two hole's in the dash either side of the ashtray that don't have switches in them.

My baby is a problem bug, I found out it use to be a rental car in Tasmania.

I really need a manual, lol.
:)
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Levers - these are to control the heater flaps.. in about 3/4 of the cars, they are not operational

Keys.. yep sounds reworked.. now hacked is the wiring.

Push buttons.. good question.. these could have been old hot wire buttons?

Dash holes - these are swithces

Manual - which one are you looking for? We do have some suggested reading in the stickies. Suggestion, I always try to get people going on is the BugMeVideo 1 .. they're only $29USD.. makes a ton of sense once seeing someone do all the stuff and talking through it.

Timmy