my turbo engine

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
panel

Post by panel »

ToRy 70 wrote: The only thing I would change is the abrupt ending (cap) at the end of the exhaust. Seems like it would flow better with a curve into the second tailpipe.
I was thinking of the same thing. Just end that dead end a little sooner with a curve.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
type3

Post by type3 »

Man that is bad news! :( Hope you get it sorted!

cheers,
type3
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

that sucks :(

Maybe I can come help you out!! Where in norway are you situated ?!
nasse

Post by nasse »

jonas_linder wrote:that sucks :(

you are to kind Jonas :) . but I guess it will be a rather long tripp.
I live in Moelv its a small town 2 hours drive north of Oslo.

after sleeping on it. I got in the workshop today and pulled the efi harness, there are som wires that needs changing but not much.
the stock harness need changing at least from the backseet to the engine, not sure in front thoe, but I did have to change the ignition switch cos it melted.
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

nasse wrote:
jonas_linder wrote:that sucks :(

you are to kind Jonas :) . but I guess it will be a rather long tripp.
I live in Moelv its a small town 2 hours drive north of Oslo.

after sleeping on it. I got in the workshop today and pulled the efi harness, there are som wires that needs changing but not much.
the stock harness need changing at least from the backseet to the engine, not sure in front thoe, but I did have to change the ignition switch cos it melted.
That is not too long! Just PM me if you want me to take a weekend trip ;)

If you got all the material a couple of nights should do the trick! Don't leave the poor turboengine hanging!!! :)

And put a fuse on that wire, very strange that there is no fuse from the factory!!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That lack-of-fuse has killed more bugs than almost anything else...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bo

Post by bo »

remember to always use fuses because 22 rifle bullets dont make good substitutes :oops:
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

What happend to this nasse ?!?! Should I load my toolbag and come help you out or what?!?! 8)
nasse

Post by nasse »

jonas_linder wrote:What happend to this nasse ?!?! Should I load my toolbag and come help you out or what?!?! 8)
well, her is a update.
I tok some time off and fixed the eletrical harness. then took it for a ride, after a mile (metric mile) a ugly rattlesound appeared, turns out to be a broken valve spring :( on cyl no.4 inntake. fixed that earlier this week.
yesterday I took it for another spin, and after 3 miles another sound appear :cry: . stopped at once and discovered that I had almost no oil left, probably due to exessive crankcase pressure pushing it thru one of the pushrod tubes :cry: :cry:
result: cam loobe on no.3 exhaust was grinded. :cry:

so Jonas, yes I actually need som help on this one :roll: changing the cam. I'l PM you...

her is a couple of pict of the car just before the last failure.

jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Looks almost as a stock engine from the outside! :)

Nice and stealthy :D

edit. I haven't recived any PM!
nasse

Post by nasse »

took the motor out yesterday. turns out it's not the cam after all. it's another valvespring :) . lott less work and the car should be on the road again in a couple of weeks :D

any ideas why the springs are cracking/sagging other than beeing old, they are not bottoming :?: .
type3

Post by type3 »

nasse wrote:...turns out it's not the cam after all. it's another valvespring :) . lott less work and the car should be on the road again in a couple of weeks :D

any ideas why the springs are cracking/sagging other than beeing old, they are not bottoming :?: .

That good news, sounds like it would be worth swapping them all out this time. :)

What make of springs are they? Just how old are they? Sounds like you need an uprated set.

cheers,
type3
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

They arent stock springs, are they?

Jake always insists that the stock springs, keepers, and retainers should be uprated even on stock engines.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
dstar

Post by dstar »

nasse wrote: any ideas why the springs are cracking/sagging other than beeing old, they are not bottoming :?: .
HEAT!
:lol:

Don
nasse

Post by nasse »

yes they are stock :oops:
but a complete new set are ordered now :lol: