Another Type 4 Turbo Project...

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
type3

Post by type3 »

The 'Ephry Mod' is in progress... :lol:

Two additional pipes mounted to the 1 and 3 stub pipes:

Pipes mounted to 3 and 4 stubs swapped, one has a tighter curve. The old pipe to number 4 has been removed. Finally the large pipe with the turbo flange has been cut and turned for more clearance. The flange will be modified for a different angle later:

J-tube section welded to number 3:

Number 4 isn't quite tight enough so a small bend has been added. Other J-tube added to new number 4 on header. Number 3 will now be cut to follow a tighter line like number 3:

:)

cheers,
type3
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Looks great, keep it coming :D
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

I'm getting all teary eyed man! 8)
Looks great. Simple routing. It's all about keeping it simple, and keeping the gasses flowing with the least resistance.

I may need to hit you up later for a second header when you're done.

;)

E
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

you could even shorten the fat bend after the collector and save muuuch space ;)
type3

Post by type3 »

Thanks guys. :) Ephry, that's very flattering but wait until you see the quality of my welding. :lol:

I'll check the large collector pipe when I flip the engine over. That way I can mount the turbo in the best place possible. :) I know I haven't got enough tubing to do the the number 1 pipe so I might source that locally. I only need the straight section.

cheers,
type3
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

The honor is all mine man. Honestly, I will love to see the end result. Yes, I will also love to get one of those headers later on :D

E
type3

Post by type3 »

Update time...

Haven't touched the turbo exhaust since last time but I've dropped the old engine and started to look at getting the engine hanger to fit the car:

The old Type III D-Jet pancake motor, it's been very reliable over the years...

Old hateful crappy bugpack exhaust:

Engine out:

Had some spacers made so that the bus engine hanger clears the full flowed oil pump:

Temporarily bolted to the old case to trial fit it in the car:

The brace will need a bracket to mate up to the old Type III mounts on the body:

The stock rubber bus mounts won't be used as they are way too soft. Instead they will be swapped out for aluminium blocks and the original Type III ones will be swapped out for some custom made urethane ones hopefully.

cheers,
type3
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

That looks like what I did som weekends ago.. here are some pictures ;)

Keep it coming :)
type3

Post by type3 »

Hi Jonas,
That looks cool, interesting that you've got it sitting under the engine. Very tidy. :)

I'm beginning to worry that my exhaust might give me ground clearance issues. I'll have to check it out a bit more thoroughly next weekend.

cheers,
type3
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

if it isn't sticking down under the sump (or there about) you shouldn't have any problem ;)
pantswagen

are those

Post by pantswagen »

t25 j tubes for sale?
-sa thats just what i need
-would you like a swapsies for a fully merged turbo thomas stainless item
-it hits the hanger bar
-its for oval port heads

-ps do you have any vanagon heads for sale

its a bug one really, i like the idea of stainless t25 j tubes, and a stock fitting type 2 stainless can -EASY
:D

-note -will definately hit the hanging bar

-for bug really
type3

Re: are those

Post by type3 »

pantswagen wrote:t25 j tubes for sale?
Sorry dude, I'm keeping them for another engine. These ones came from Stateside Tuning, not sure if they do them anymore but worth a try though. You can get mild steel big bore ones from LAP too if needed.
pantswagen wrote:-would you like a swapsies for a fully merged turbo thomas stainless item
-it hits the hanger bar
-its for oval port heads
The only oval port heads I have, have been converted to round port (with stubbies) so I have no need for the header, sorry.

cheers,
type3
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

That header looks like a nice little setup. Long extractor for sure. Type 1 1 3/4" modified?

E