Hydraulic to Solid lifters

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Are there any modifications that I have to carry out to convert a hydraulic lifter case to solid lifters?
juiceman

Post by juiceman »

The solid lifters should slide right in. You will have to change the pushrods since solid and hydraulic valvetrains use different length pushrods. I assume you are wanting to change because you are wanting to switch to a performace grind cam. If not, while it is possible for a hydraulic grind cam to work with solid lifters, it is recommended that you use a solid grind cam with solid lifters for things to work properly.
J. Raby

Post by J. Raby »

Sir,

You are taking a step in the right direction. I have not built a single hydraulic lift engine in 7 years. The solid lift is more maintenance, however it has far less parts to fail and the lifters always "stay pumped up" The reason I change all engines over was the fact that I noticed the hydro engines had signifigant camshaft wear after less than 100k miles, while solid engines last atleast 200k before the cam wipes out. The hydro lifters have to be lubed with totally clean oil all the time or they will disintegrate!!

well some things that you may want to keep from the hydro set up are the rocker arms, which are solid spaced and are bulletproof. With these units there is nothing to break and valve adjusting screws are 9mm in diameter, giving then\m more strength and better durability......If you have any questions, direct them this way....Forever Air, Jake Raby