Roll call

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
max power

Roll call

Post by max power »

seems like there's so much energy and excitement in this forum that it's attracting new people everyday. Like me

Anyway, just wanted to know more about you guys. I know there are covert ways of finding out everything about someone on the internet, but i'd like to hear from you. What you do? Where you from/live now? How old are you? What kind of vws do you drive? What kind of type 4 are you rocking?
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Mine is simple............I would also like to see who is doing what and who is just contemplating a conversion, ior started one! LURKERS< SPEAK UP!
max power

Post by max power »

My names Matt Deacon - inherited a love for aircooled engines from my dad. My first ride in a car was when I was brought home from the hospital in a 356c 8). I's born in the SF bay area, grew up in Nashville, and now live in Knoxville, TN where I work as an intern at an architecture firm designing and pumping CAD. I'm 24 and graduated from U of Tennessee last may. I've got a 61 ghia and 76 beetle, and have just started the initial phases of a 2056 build up. I'll be here everyday asking more lame questions, so just wanted to formally introduce meself.

matt
Last edited by max power on Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

Hey, Max Power!
You need to go to Asheville and visit with those guys at "Back From the Dead" Restorations!

Cool bunch of folks!

My name is Don Starling,
and I'm a Type IV-a-holic!

Here's a pic of me:

and my wife: Image

BUWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
max power

Post by max power »

whoa, don, you look just like me! that's crazy!

I've never heard of Back From the Dead, I like the name though. Asheville's so much cooler than knoxville I go there to see shows all the time, maybe I'll look them up. bought my ghia in asheville actually, drove back through cherokee NF with no windows in November!
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

max power wrote:whoa, don, you look just like me! that's crazy!

I've never heard of Back From the Dead, I like the name though. Asheville's so much cooler than knoxville I go there to see shows all the time, maybe I'll look them up. bought my ghia in asheville actually, drove back through cherokee NF with no windows in November!
They hada couple of verts for sale, but had sold the one I wanted the Wed before I got there on Fri. They have a BOAT-LOAD oftype IV stuff! I called it Type IV heaven!

Yea, ask for "Thor" . Great guy!

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
judge

Post by judge »

hello mate
just a shout out from across the pond.
iam building a 1303 for hill climbing/track days
2ltr typ4
901 gearbox
944 brakes and suspension
any way greetings to the forum and ask all the dum questions you want,the rest of us do :D
live in the uk and paint classics for a liveing ie;aston martins,356's etc etc
and am umm 31 years young.
cheers rob
dklipfel

Post by dklipfel »

62 years old. Married. Drove C1 and C2 Corvettes for about fifteen years. Lowered the speed limit to 55. Sold Vette, bought truck, boat and motorcycle. Been commuting to work on two wheels since 1974 (hooray for San Diego weather). Never drove a VW. Did drive a Corvair automatic for 250,000 miles. Bought a flared JPS Porsche speedster replica(call it my affordable street rod) about 3 years ago. Type four engine, 2367 cc, dual webers, BAS merged header, fat tires, 4 wheel discs. Haven't put the top up yet. Everything I know about VW has come from forums like this one.
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

dklipfel wrote:---------Did drive a Corvair automatic for 250,000 miles---------------.
Saw a running turbo spyder FS in the Trader locally for $2900.
Might want to look into that if you are a Corvair type guy...I heard
the are collectable!
:)

Don
Eddie Brown

Post by Eddie Brown »

Hi. My name is Eddie Brown. 33 years old. Single again. (LOL). Have had my own shop for 7 months now. Been passionate about cars since I was 3 or 4 years old. But especially when I saw my first Grand Prix at Long Beach in 1976 or 1977 when Carlos Reutemann(Argentina) won the race with a Ferrari. I got to touch the slicks on it right after the race in the pits as it was passing by being pushed into the paddocks. My dad was a VW/Porsche mechanic, so I've always been fond of Aircooled engines.
As soon as I got my second car (74 Super), I've always been aware of the T4, and after 15 years I finally put one in my car, and love it. At least for my personal use I'll keep on building t4's, and as my customers and friends appreciate these motors, I build them for their use also.

Take care,

Eddie.
factman

Post by factman »

my name is sam fox. my parents both had brand new 64 and 65 bugs off the show room floor and so i guess it just trickled down from them. i have had a 70 in the fam for 12 years now and i have been driving it since 16, 24 now. this summer i was looking for a different car to buy and figured i would finally buy the car i have always wanted, a nice notch. i thought my bug was pretty fast til i drove the notch for the first time that has a 2.5(74X104) in it, dang its quick. i thought i would have problems cooling it since it was so big but for around town its fine. anyways, im going to school right now in collision repair but my love is engines but cant stand fixing other peoples problems all day long(mechanic) to climb the ladder so i want to work in a hod rod shop building big motors for people, and some bodywork on the side. wow thats long, oops. well, thats me. more power, gotta last though. later

SAM
houseofghia

Post by houseofghia »

:shock: Wow Jake called me a lurker. Kinda makes me feel like I'm a criminal or something! LOL. I check the forums everyday so I can learn about the t-4. I don't post much but I read a lot of the posts. I want to put a 2270 t-4 in my 1960 ghia vert with irs pan. Right now it's a 1600 dp with dual 40 mm webers and a header. It's faster than stock but no where near as fast as I want it. I wanted a fast car that will handle well, that's why the irs pan. It just needs the engine and trans to match. I like Jakes dtm but I want to make a cali conversion with a thing shroud to make it look like it belongs there. I like things to be trick while looking like it belongs. I'm saving parts for the rebuild now. I have two bus 2.0 cores. I need to find some 914 2.0 heads.
I'm 32 and have been into vw's for the past twelve years. I've had 2 westphalia campers and a beetle or two. This ghia makes the fourth I've owned. Vw's are in my blood. I was born in 1971 and came home from the hospital when I was born in my Dad's 1970 Westphalia in a snowstorm. BRRRRRR. I live in Northern N.J.!!! My Dad had a 1961 Porsche 356B super 90 when I was a kid and my Mom had a 1970 Beetle vert for a while. I still have the scar on my leg from burning myself on the pea shooter at least 25 years ago. LOL.

The vw stable includes
97 jetta "my daily driver"
92 vr6 slc Corrado "my wifes toy"
60 ghia vert " my toy
Last edited by houseofghia on Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Keep all the shiny stuff off the DTM, and it looks very stock...especially painted flat black. But hey, you can always upgrade!

I'm glad to see everyone posting to this one, I wonder how many people never say a word and just watch!

even if you are not registered, just post as a guest and tell us what your plans are!
houseofghia

Post by houseofghia »

Jake, Do you sell the pulley and the gen/alt stand? I need one. Thanks, Matt
MASSIVE TYPE IV

I included a coupon for these in the pacjkage I sent to Joe Cali. If you buy his book and have that coupon I'll sell you one....... Otherwise I'm not because it takes so much work to do those two parts.